Our partner

How to deal with psychotherapy dependence?

Psychotherapy message board, open discussion, and online support group.
Forum rules
We are not professionals on this site, nor are any of the members. Always consult with your physician or other doctor about any type of medications.

How to deal with psychotherapy dependence?

Postby Elochai » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:57 pm

I've been receiving psychoanalytic therapy for almost two years (open ended therapy) on a once a week basis. Though, sometimes, my schedule or holidays (Christmas break or summer holiday) means that my therapy gets put on hold for a week or two.. And within in the few days of a break I feel my self feeling confused, unstable, extremely irritable and snappy (which is nothing like me) and just longing to back to therapy I'm feeling as if I can not cope without it all.

I'm wondering if is something my therapist has done wrong (I don't think so he's awesome) or is this normal and how does one deal without therapy for a short while?
Elochai
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:33 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: How to deal with psychotherapy dependence?

Postby Nucleus » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:23 pm

Therapy is not only to make you feel good. Make your frustration an excuse to see what bothers you by analysing it.
I read in a T-Shirt :"Even in slow-motion, go forward"
:?
Γνώθι σεαυτόν
Nucleus
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:33 am

Re: How to deal with psychotherapy dependence?

Postby martinasimpkins » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:59 am

Yes, therapy can make you feel good. The absence of this good feeling during a break can make you unstable or snappy. Keep practicing what you learn during your therapy sessions *mod edit*- link removed) Soon, you will be able to feel good during the breaks. Working on yourself takes time. Even if you’re progressing one tiny step at a time, you need to remind yourself that it’s still progress.
martinasimpkins
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:33 pm

Return to Psychotherapy

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post