Our partner

Embarrassed by psychologists comments-feel like changing

Psychotherapy message board, open discussion, and online support group.
Forum rules
We are not professionals on this site, nor are any of the members. Always consult with your physician or other doctor about any type of medications.

Embarrassed by psychologists comments-feel like changing

Postby Greenbluebells » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:27 am

I have been having relationship problems and specifically went to see a psychologist when I had been suffering extreme guilt and anxiety when dealing and facing up to the consequences of an emotional affair I had (though i hate the term)

As can be expected I came out with a realisation of the underlying issues in my life. Ive had 6 weekly sessions and the first 2 were really nerve racking. The fourth I was so disconnected but eventually told him (for the sake of transparency) the childhood and adult traumas ive been through.

On the fourth session I was calmer and it felt like he knew all my deepest secrets that I given up my control. Towards the end he asked me for my feedback and I said the things we talk about are intimate. He agreed and then advised me of the strict guidelines about what you can and cant do outside therapy. I took it as him thinking it may be an issue that I would have.....that I would want to do that.

The next session we we talking about reactions in our partners and out of nowhere (or at least how I remember it) he says that hes not emotionally attached to his clients but is with his wife. I felt the comments came out of the blue and were intentional
At that moment I was seething with anger with myself. Yes I do find him attractive but thats it. I read about all this transference stuff and I dont want to do that. Everything I say I moderate to ensure no "vibe" comes across that way. But I consultanted a freind who is also a client and was told there was no establishing of guidelines with them and it seemed strange but being a psychologist he could feel something......like I give off something.

I feel like a bit of an idiot and it must be so obvious that given my track record I might form an attachment but at the same time I feel like a thought was placed in my head that wasnt there before. Im considering changing. All other posts suggest to talk about it. But it wasnt an "it" untill I felt that I might be giving off vibes
Last edited by mark1958 on Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edited title for clarity
Greenbluebells
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:22 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Return to Psychotherapy

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post