Our partner

Accidentally Terminated Therapy

Psychotherapy message board, open discussion, and online support group.
Forum rules
We are not professionals on this site, nor are any of the members. Always consult with your physician or other doctor about any type of medications.

Accidentally Terminated Therapy

Postby PinkBalloons » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:03 pm

I had been in therapy for almost a year. I recently accidentally terminated therapy via email. I was frustrated with my inability to talk about important topics in sessions. So, I emailed him about them. I had said in that weeks session that I thought it might be easier to talk with a female, but in my email I said that I thought I probably wouldn't make a difference.
He replied to my email by saying that he thought I was important that I talk about these things and that he would "completely understand" if I felt more comfortable with a female. I took the wording in his email to mean that he felt ill equipped or simply didn't want to deal with these topics. I guess I was kind of bother by this (?) so I asked him for names of female counselors in the area (something he'd offered to do when I quit for about a month in the summer).
Now I'm devastated! I really didn't mean to terminate therapy. But at the same time I think I have an unhealthy attachment to him, one of the topics he thought we needed to talk about (my fascination with older men), so maybe this is a good thing.
I don't want to see a different therapist. I don't want to go to a female therapist. I feel pathetic for being so upset over this. It keeps creeping into my mind and I start bawling my eyes out through the day.
PinkBalloons
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:16 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Return to Psychotherapy

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post