Our partner

Child of an alcoholic

Psychotherapy message board, open discussion, and online support group.
Forum rules
We are not professionals on this site, nor are any of the members. Always consult with your physician or other doctor about any type of medications.

Child of an alcoholic

Postby BrainStorm » Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:18 pm

My therapist told me today that a lot of my coping problems stem from being the child of an alcoholic and having to take on adult responsibilities as a child. When I was seven, I took care of my four year old brother and got us on the bus to school, prepared meals a child could cook, and paid bills over the phone with my mother's credit card to keep the lights and water on while she lay in bed drinking. I have a lot of problems, but I never thought this would be staying with me into adulthood. I don't know what to do about it. I've learned, from childhood, that if you have a problem you take care of it yourself and don't ask for help. I'm embarassed to ask for help. I don't cope well with stress. I'm uncomfortable around alcohol. I have a terrible relationship with my mother that I don't ever expect to change because she put so much burden on me as a child. I took care of my brother and the adult responsibilities. Will I ever heal from this?
Bipolar 1 and PTSD
Currently taking:
140mg Geodon/(80pm, 60am)
10mg Ambien/Zolpidem
300 Wellbutrin/Bupropion XL
6mg Minipress/Prazosin
2mg Klonopin/Clonazepam PRN

Clean since 11/25/15
BrainStorm
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:35 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Child of an alcoholic

Postby Akuma » Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:29 pm

Maybe check out if there are ACOA (adult children of alcoholics) or Al-Anon groups where you live. It might not create quick magical healing but it might be helpful to talk with other people who come from the same background.
dx: dissociative disorder + npd
Akuma
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:35 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)

Return to Psychotherapy