Our partner

This week in therapy... (kinda long)

Psychotherapy message board, open discussion, and online support group.
Forum rules
We are not professionals on this site, nor are any of the members. Always consult with your physician or other doctor about any type of medications.

This week in therapy... (kinda long)

Postby WantToEscapeIt » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:05 pm

Hey all, I'm new here!

For a little background: I saw this T for 2 years while in high school. I usually went in and we sat in silence. I was there because my mother told me to be there. I did have issues with depression and self-harm, but I didn't discuss them. I stopped seeing her when I graduated high school.

Flash forward two years: I have been struggling with pushing my feelings aside since leaving therapy. It eventually got to be too much and I started to self-harm again. I also decided to start seeing the same therapist again. I was teary the minute I sat down in the chair. She again diagnosed me with depression with OCD tendencies, anxiety, etc. etc. We met 6 times and then she went on a 2.5 week vacation.

During her vacation I met with one of her coworkers in the office. My second appointment with her, I was having a rough week. I had self-harmed at least 7 times in a week. I curled up and started to dissociate, as I often do in therapy. The stand in T had me create a collage. It was dark. It was deep. As soon as I looked at the finished product I broke down.

This past Wednesday my T was back and when things weren't really going anywhere, she asked if we could look at the collage. I was afraid, but I said yes. She sat next to me and I looked at it and immediately started to dissociate. She tried to pull me back, kept asking me where I was (she often does this when I dissociate). It was bad. I completely lost it. I started crying. I told her how suicidal I've been and how much I've been cutting. She left the room to change some things around so I could see my pdoc earlier to change my meds. When she came back I was in a complete breakdown. She asked if she could hold me and I let her. It was the best thing I have ever experience in my life. I have always had a hard time believing she cared, believing she wanted to help me and here she was, holding me while I broke down. Session ran overtime and she just kept holding me. She made me promise to call and check in with her later that night.

And now I feel so guilty about it. I took up so much time. And I don't deserve any of what she gave to me. I don't deserve that sort of comfort and love and tenderness. And I feel guilty for liking it. I feel guilty for wanting it again. I didn't deserve it. I believe I am less than human and less than human doesn't deserve to be loved like that. I don't deserve to feel the love and compassion and kindness she gave me when she held me. And I hate myself for it.
WantToEscapeIt
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:47 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: This week in therapy... (kinda long)

Postby TryingToFigureitOut » Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:36 pm

Sorry so late. I just found this site and was looking around.

Please watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9fHCrP ... redirect=1

You deserve love and you're not wrong for wanting it. It's evolutionarily programmed in us to want it, and every should have access to it.

I hope you are doing well.
TryingToFigureitOut
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:47 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Psychotherapy

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post