Our partner

Delayed Sleep Phase Disorder + Sleeping Too Much (Help)

Primary Sleep Disorders message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Delayed Sleep Phase Disorder + Sleeping Too Much (Help)

Postby usman1337 » Sun May 15, 2016 7:41 pm

Hello there,

I'm Usman, 20 years old and I've been suffering from this delayed sleep phase syndrome. I haven't officially got diagnosed with it, actually misdiagnosed and prescribed a sleeping pill that just made it worse. But i know that i have this disorder because no matter what I do, I can't sleep at night and only be able to sleep throughout the day. At the time of this writing, it's 12:33 PM and I feel so active and refreshed. I won't be able to get sleep before 3:00 or 4:00 AM since i woke up at 3:00 pm today.

I also have anxiety disorder for which I'm taking escitalopram for the past 3 years. I have to get up early in the morning to take the university classes and when I wake up in the morning, I feel terrible and experience severe anxiety because of not getting enough sleep at night. I feel like a zombie until afternoon. I've tried not sleeping at all the whole night and then forcing myself to stay up for the rest of the day in order to sleep at a reasonable time at night for example 9:00 PM. But after coming back home, my body says "Hey, it's time to awake" and I don't feel tired to sleep early. I can stay up and do the work even If I'm up since 18 hours! Or even if I can manage to sleep at 10:00 PM, what will happen is that I will sleep WAY too much, for example 14 hours and wake up at 12:00 PM. The next day, obviously since I have woke up at 12:00 PM, I won't be able to sleep at 10:00 PM and this goes on and on, every single day. No matter what I do, I can probably maintain the routine for 2-3 days but eventually i get back to my same routine. Sleep at day, Wake up at night.

On Saturday night, I was able to sleep by 1:00 AM but I woke up at 3:00 PM (Over 14 hours). And since I woke up at 3:00 PM, I won't be able to sleep at 1:00 AM today. So basically, my sleep is delayed 2-3 hours every day because of sleeping too much. I usually sleep 12-14 hours a day.

So basically, I have 2 problems:

1.) Delayed Sleep Phase Syndrome
2.) Sleeping too much (12-14 hours) daily.

I don't know why my body requires me to sleep too much. I also have terrible constipation most of the time so that may be reason why I'm sleeping so much. I can probably get rid of this disorder if I can wake up after 7-8 hours of sleep.

Does anyone here experienced the same thing? I would love to hear from people who are like me and going through the same thing and possibly a solution to fix this problem.

I got poor grades because of this disorder since I just can't concentrate in the morning classes.

Thanks,
Usman.
usman1337
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:11 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Delayed Sleep Phase Disorder + Sleeping Too Much (Help)

Postby Lineapple » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:21 am

Hello :) i also sleep way too much because it is my way of coping with what i feel. I have little control of it because if i do not get 12 hours of sleep a day i will become very drowsy. I think i may have hypersomnia, and you might as well. I do not have delayed sleep phase disorder, but it seems that you are getting on the right track by going to talk to a doctor about this and getting a prescription(hopefully it will not be the right kind of medication). I wish you all the best!
Lineapple
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:11 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Primary Sleep Disorders Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post