Our partner

Why don't I dream?

Primary Sleep Disorders message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Why don't I dream?

Postby TwoBlue » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:49 pm

I've have several back-to-back tragedies for 10 years or more. I use to dream very vivid dreams then about 9 to 10 years ago (when the cycle of events started) I had TERRIBLE nightmares - actually more than nightmares - night terrors.

For the past year or more, I have no dreams at all (or don't recall having dreams). I don't even recall even a fragment of dreams. I even asked my husband if I talk in my sleep or mumble - nothing.

I'm grateful the night terrors have stopped but I miss not dreaming. I'm a very creative person and love art, metalsmith work and hot glass work. I use to dream so vividly it would inspire me to create things - nothing.

The practical side of my brain wonders if I'm simply blocking dreaming out because I was so fearful of sleep when I had night terrors. Anyone know why someone stops dreaming?
TwoBlue
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:35 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Why don't I dream?

Postby Oliveira » Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:41 pm

Oooh, a fellow metalsmith. :)

I had years when I had no dreams. I mean I possibly did have dreams, but I didn't remember them. Then I had a period of very vivid dreams. The medication I was on affects my dreams (for instance, quetiapine as sleeping aid = super technicolor amazing dreams that I was looking forward to all evening, but lamictal + diazepam = dumb dreams about nothing, still, lots of them, zopiclon = no dreams at all).

Can you think of a trigger for this change? Like, you got on or off some medication? Change in your caffeine intake? Substance use? Sports?
Currently working on my upcoming signature.
Oliveira
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:35 am

Postby SlickSleep » Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:30 am

Your sleep goes through different stages throughout the night. Generally, most of your dreams occur during REM sleep, but can also be present during other phases. So it may be that you are not spending many periods in REM sleep.
SlickSleep
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:35 pm

Postby Jack_McGurn » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:10 am

Usually, we wake up in the morning during REM sleep. That's the best time to remember your dreams. You have to train yourself to remember the dream you were having as you were waking up. If you wait even a minute, you won't be able to recall your dream.

I became interested in lucid dreaming and began to do this. If you write down the dream in a dream log, it's even better. Just remember to think about what you were dreaming the instant you wake up and spend a few quiet minutes reviewing your dream.

I'm not sure, but I think I've read that everyone dreams, but some people just don't remember them. Try it and see if it works for you.
Jack_McGurn
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:35 pm

Postby OilyLife1 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:07 am

From my reading, in regards to sleep and dreams, lack of dreams can mean a lack of O2 to the brain. Lots of things can ultimately cause this of course, there are ways to increase O2 to the brain, which ultimately improves overall health.
OilyLife1
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:35 pm

Postby maree12 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:52 pm

Apparently, even though you do not remember, you DO dream, but you just do not remember the dreams. I have never remembered any dream, in all my life, which tends to p!$$ me off, so it is nice to find that I am not the only one. I did read somewhere that to remember your dreams, you have to up your vitamin intake of...a certain vitamin, but I cannot remember what it is.
How is your memory? If that is doing OK, then you must be dreaming, my memory is NOT doing OK, and I do not know if that is due to the lack of dreams, or the stroke that I had 20 years ago...or the alcohol from 10 years before the stroke. Although, a long time ago, I did have an exceptionally good memory, and I was not remembering dreams then.
maree12
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Local time: Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:35 pm

Postby VirginiaPanda » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:20 am

Perhaps you do not remember anything in the morning... :| Because you are tired.
VirginiaPanda
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:35 am

Postby Dnester » Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:07 am

SlickSleep wrote:Your sleep goes through different stages throughout the night. Generally, most of your dreams occur during REM sleep, but can also be present during other phases. So it may be that you are not spending many periods in REM sleep.

I agree with this. Get a sleep study because you need REM sleep.
Dnester
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:35 pm

Postby Jeffm » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:20 pm

I dreamt every night and shout in loud at the time of sleeping my mom says to me, but I don't say anything in next morning. I say that I don't get any dreamt at night.
Jeffm
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:05 am

Postby Jeffm » Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:23 pm

I think you need to use sleeping earplugs it will block all the sounds and help you to sweet dreams. I was suffering from sleep apnea; that is why I never do deep sleep. Without deep sleeping, a human being cannot survive a healthy life. So we need to seep well. Otherwise, we will suffer a lot of problems like depression, high blood pressure, increase cholesterol and much more. That is why I want to use a sleeping earplugs to give deep sleep. I found a couple of websites on google and I want to share here so that you guys can see them and suggest me what would be good for me?
https://www.bigearinc.com/products/best-earplugs-for-sleeping
https://hacktosleep.com/best-earplugs-for-sleeping
Jeffm
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:05 am

Return to Primary Sleep Disorders Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post