Our partner

Telling Employer About Pregnancy

Pregnancy message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Telling Employer About Pregnancy

Postby SmileyAM » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:02 am

I haven't worked in the past year, due to Bipolar episodes and severe anxiety surrounding social and occupational situations.

Well, I'm now 14 weeks pregnant and my partner recently got laid off so that means I need to get a job asap.

I'm not exactly showing yet, but it won't be long as I'm quite small and this is my 3rd child. My question is, when do I tell (future) employers that I'm pregnant? Are there any laws specifying when I need to tell or can I wait until after I'm hired? Thanks in advance, ladies (and gents?).
SmileyAM
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:22 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Telling Employer About Pregnancy

Postby Ada » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:10 pm

I think it depends on the country you live in. Here's a blog post which might help if you're in the US. [And the comments tend to have helpful stuff for other countries. They are unusually abusive in places though, so be careful reading.]

http://www.askamanager.org/2008/11/job- ... gnant.html

If you're not in the US. Or want to find more recent / local information. Government / State websites are usually a good place to start. Since they lay out the legal aspects, in [hopefully!] plain language. Other options would be Citizen's Advice or Employment Helplines. If your line of work has a union, then they would also be a great resource.
We think too much and feel too little.
 More than machinery, we need humanity.
 More than cleverness, we need kindness and gentleness.

Charlie Chaplain in The Great Dictator
Ada
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:22 pm
Blog: View Blog (35)

Return to Pregnancy

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post