Our partner

Can you get it after several children?

Postpartum Depression message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Can you get it after several children?

Postby Mom-2-1 » Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:33 pm

I truly am posting this as a question regarding a friend of mine.

D has had four children, her last being a girl. Another friend of ours (M) said to her that she thinks she (D) is suffering from PPD. M and I believe that she is. D doesn't believe that she is simply because she "never got that way" with the other kids.

So my question is - is it possible to get it after a couple of kids and never having had it before? Especially when the other children were boys? Doesn't having a girl throw your hormones even more so?

Thanks for the insight.
Mom-2-1

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby chickadee » Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:49 pm

http://www.digitalnaturopath.com/cond/C134865.html wrote:Postpartum depression can occur after any birth, not just the first.
Check out this website or recommend it to your friend. What can it hurt to talk to a therapist or doctor? The criteria for PPD are also on this site.

If she continues to brush off your concerns about her well-being, show her this quote, too:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6969470/ wrote:In many cases, PPD interferes with a woman’s ability to care for her newborn. Children of mothers with PPD often have delayed growth and mental development, and are at increased risk for psychiatric disturbances later in life.
Helping herself means helping her baby. She's lucky to have good friends who care about her. I hope things work out. :wink:
nosce te ipsum

P.S. I'm not a shrink.
chickadee
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:59 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Guest » Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:38 pm

I appreciate the feedback.

She's in total denial. She does have other issues that have surfaced since the baby's birth but she's having issues with going to therapy anyway.

I believe she's also suffering from agoraphobia but she won't get help for that either. She also has these moments where she forgets that she said something (usually very hurtful) and doesn't remember it.

Even if I did show her these quotes, she refuses to think that anything would be wrong with her. And it's funny - M and I pegged that she would get PPD before the birth.

Thanks again,
Mom-2-1

Return to Postpartum Depression Forum