Our partner

Wondering...

Postpartum Depression message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Re: Wondering...

Postby cedwards1987chole » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:44 pm

ppd
Last edited by cedwards1987chole on Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cedwards1987chole
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:29 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby cedwards1987chole » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:22 pm

Postpartum depression (PPD), also called postnatal depression, is a form of clinical depression which can affect women, and less frequently men, after childbirth. Studies report prevalence rates among women from 5% to 25%, but methodological differences among the studies make the actual prevalence rate unclear. Among men, in particular new fathers, the incidence of postpartum depression has been estimated to be between 1.2% and 25.5%. Postpartum depression occurs in women after they have carried a child, usually in the first few months, and may last up to several months or even a year. Symptoms include sadness, fatigue, changes in sleeping and eating patterns, reduced libido, crying episodes, anxiety, and irritability. Although a number of risk factors have been identified, the causes of PPD are not well understood. Many women recover with a treatment consisting of a support groups or counseling.
Having additional mental health issues will make it alot harder after giving birth and yes it will also increase the chances more so of developing post partum but you will not "AUTOMATICALLY" GET PPD.That being said it does not mean that you have to give up.If you are scared that you may develop ppd a good excercise would be Talking therapies with a psychotherapist which can help patients gain insight into and resolve their problems through verbal exchange with the therapist. Which I believe is better than just preceding with medication especially if you may already be on medication for other major depression issuses. MEDICATION HAS SERIOUS SIDE EFFECTS AND MAY CAUSE OTHER SERIOUS ISSUSES. Sometimes it will feel that you have lost your sense of self but having some one to just listen to you may be soothing to you. I think you will be ok because you are willing to learn about PPD and being educated is better than being left in the dark.
I hope you get the help you need becuase you should enjoy having a child, it is a beautiful mircale.
cedwards1987chole
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby cien » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:20 am

Saschavykos wrote:If you have Major depression disorder, and you have a child, will you automatically get postpartum depression? and if you do.. does the depression double in misery?

No. At least not with me. Had it during/after 1 pregnancy out of 3.

-- Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:24 am --

i should also state i stringly disagree with a depression diagnosis i received as a teen.
Do you really think it is weakness that yields to temptation? I tell you that there are terrible temptations which it requires strength, strength and courage to yield to.
cien
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:29 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby StephenStevens » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:39 am

Really hard question. I am not sure about medicine in this case...
StephenStevens
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:29 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby quietgirl2538 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:43 pm

Saschavykos wrote:If you have Major depression disorder, and you have a child, will you automatically get postpartum depression? and if you do.. does the depression double in misery?

I know this is a very old post, but I would like to share that I did have postpartum depression from all 3 pregnancies. And I also have had Major Depression. My honest experience is that Major Depression felt 10x worse. I don't know why, but it did. With Post Partum Depression, I had the blues initially, where you cry for some days because of the hormones affecting your mood, but then that goes away. Then I just could not feel much. My feelings weren't there (happy, sad, excited). I mostly felt tired. I tried to bond with the babies by holding them and I breastfed so that really helped to get me to bond with them. At that time I was not on any medication for depression. The depression lessened or went away entirely. The third pregnancy I breastfed and formula fed for a week by switching one and then changing it to another form of feeding throughout the day. I soon stopped breastfeeding because I started taking antidepressants.
“There’s an Asian expression that ‘a burden shared is halved.’"

Bipolar I
ADD (inattentive kind)
*I take loads of meds, but they keep me stable
quietgirl2538
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Blog: View Blog (124)

Previous

Return to Postpartum Depression Forum