Our partner

Weird Symptom

Post Traumatic Stress Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Terry E.

Weird Symptom

Postby Manners73 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:36 pm

Not sure if this is a symptom of ptsd or not but here goes.

Right so first of all comes the panic attack and all the confusion and paranoia and everything like that.

Then it's as though I forget it completely and the panic goes away and then all of a sudden it all starts again and I'm in that situation again. It's like I'm stuck and I can't do anything to make it stop and then all of a sudden I've forgot it again. It's not that I've forgot that I've been in that state but I've forgotten what made put me in that state. The feeling completely leaves me and I'm fine again.

This has been happening to me all day today.
England's Glory
Manners73
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:39 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Weird Symptom

Postby Terry E. » Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:21 am

My guess is that there has been a trigger of some kind, one you may not have even felt, a sound a smell, a phrase an object you have seen, or an action you have observed. It has been peripheral and you are not consciously aware of it.

If you really want to you can sit down and go over all that happened prior to it's first appearance, or just wait it out.

It may turn up tonight when you dream (Nightmare), so kind of do what you do when you think that may happen.

If you get through today and tonight okay I am guessing you should be okay tomorrow.

Of course this is now three days late, so I hope that you did not have any nightmares but maybe remember it for next time.

Sorry but I have been away.

Not sure if it PTSD but it happens to me, or I should say happened to me when I was younger.

Hope you are okay Manners, take care.
Terry E.
Moderator: Consumer
Moderator: Consumer

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby DaturaInnoxia » Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:56 am

I'm not a medical professional so I don't want to rule out physical health issues (which might overlap in the way symptoms present themselves), but it sounds very possible that it could be PTSD triggers just as Terry mentioned.
- especially if you've been bringing up stuff that you're not used to bringing up.

I used to get something (possibly distantly) related.
Out of nowhere, waves of terror over and over and over until the point I started having long episodes of derealization verging on psychosis.

For me, I needed to slow down and find somewhere safe where I could get comfortable / self-soothe for a while and ground myself and rest and wait for "the storm to pass"

If you guys aren't already doing so, it might be worth seeing if you can work on more "closing the box" / grounding techniques during therapy (that you can also practice while you're in a decent state outside of therapy too), so you're able to apply it more effectively if things like this come up again.
The DBT distress tolerance module may also be worth looking into for coping skills during times like that too.
Bitches Be Tripping. They're me - I'm Bitches.  ~ unknown
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
DaturaInnoxia
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:39 am

Postby Manners73 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:04 pm

Terry E. wrote:My guess is that there has been a trigger of some kind, one you may not have even felt, a sound a smell, a phrase an object you have seen, or an action you have observed. It has been peripheral and you are not consciously aware of it.

If you really want to you can sit down and go over all that happened prior to it's first appearance, or just wait it out.

It may turn up tonight when you dream (Nightmare), so kind of do what you do when you think that may happen.

If you get through today and tonight okay I am guessing you should be okay tomorrow.

Of course this is now three days late, so I hope that you did not have any nightmares but maybe remember it for next time.

Sorry but I have been away.

Not sure if it PTSD but it happens to me, or I should say happened to me when I was younger.

Hope you are okay Manners, take care.

Yeah I'm not to bad now thank you. It kind of faded itself out on Sunday evening. I'm triggered by a work colleague and even though very mention of his name starts me off.

My therapy sessions have ended because even that was triggering me and she wasn't qualified to help me. She has referred me for emdr and cbt for it though so I'm just waiting for that.

-- Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:06 pm --

DaturaInnoxia wrote:I'm not a medical professional so I don't want to rule out physical health issues (which might overlap in the way symptoms present themselves), but it sounds very possible that it could be PTSD triggers just as Terry mentioned.
- especially if you've been bringing up stuff that you're not used to bringing up.

I used to get something (possibly distantly) related.
Out of nowhere, waves of terror over and over and over until the point I started having long episodes of derealization verging on psychosis.

For me, I needed to slow down and find somewhere safe where I could get comfortable / self-soothe for a while and ground myself and rest and wait for "the storm to pass"

If you guys aren't already doing so, it might be worth seeing if you can work on more "closing the box" / grounding techniques during therapy (that you can also practice while you're in a decent state outside of therapy too), so you're able to apply it more effectively if things like this come up again.
The DBT distress tolerance module may also be worth looking into for coping skills during times like that too.

Thank you Datura. It does feel like I'm going psychotic sometimes and then it just stops and I can't even remember why I was in such a state.
England's Glory
Manners73
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby TheGangsAllHere » Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:26 pm

This could be due to dissociation. You could be rapidly switching from one state to another, and it's that one state who is stuck in panic and paranoia. If that's the case, EMDR could worsen things, because it's contraindicated in dissociative disorders. CPTSD is very different from "regular" PTSD, and often includes a lot of dissociation. Even if that state is not a fully elaborated alter, you may still be able to communicate with it/them and try to let them know that it's safe now by grounding them in the present.

I would recommend finding a therapist who specializes in dissociative disorders.
TheGangsAllHere
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:39 am

Postby DaturaInnoxia » Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:52 pm

TheGangsAllHere wrote:If that's the case, EMDR could worsen things, because it's contraindicated in dissociative disorders. CPTSD is very different from "regular" PTSD, and often includes a lot of dissociation. Even if that state is not a fully elaborated alter, you may still be able to communicate with it...

I'm understanding you to say that, as far as your concerned, one of the bigger differences between CPTSD and PTSD is in the type of dissociation that they experience. > Primarily, because people with CPTSD may experience disociation in a form that's close to DID alters or be comorbid with DID.

I'm trying to understand how the EMDR process could make it worst or trigger dissociation?
^
And you mean trigger alters rather than the type of dissociation people with PTSD experience?

TheGangsAllHere wrote:Even if that state is not a fully elaborated alter, you may still be able to communicate with it/them and try to let them know that it's safe now by grounding them in the present.

If you do this yourself, do you find your alters or non-fully elaborated alters to respond to you letting them know that they're safe now?
^
If so, I wonder if it's a significant response or a slight improvement?
I also wonder what types of grounding for them you find most effective
Bitches Be Tripping. They're me - I'm Bitches.  ~ unknown
DaturaInnoxia
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:39 am

Postby Manners73 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:28 pm

TheGangsAllHere wrote:This could be due to dissociation. You could be rapidly switching from one state to another, and it's that one state who is stuck in panic and paranoia. If that's the case, EMDR could worsen things, because it's contraindicated in dissociative disorders. CPTSD is very different from "regular" PTSD, and often includes a lot of dissociation. Even if that state is not a fully elaborated alter, you may still be able to communicate with it/them and try to let them know that it's safe now by grounding them in the present.

I would recommend finding a therapist who specializes in dissociative disorders.

I think you may be right. I've actually got some treatment coming up so I will mention this to her before she does any emdr. Thank you for telling me this.
England's Glory
Manners73
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Return to Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum