Our partner

How my poker loses are related to my childhood trauma?

Post Traumatic Stress Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Terry E.

How my poker loses are related to my childhood trauma?

Postby nikcho1337 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:50 pm

Hello. I'm a professional poker player. Soon I realized that I'm co-dependent and have symptoms of PTSD also.
I can't find the link between my poker loses and the flashbacks.
Sometimes when I lose even some unsignificant part of my poker money or even just a single hand, I just feel the sensations building in my body. I feel the stress and cortisol going thru me. After that I feel like I survived fight with a bear. I can't understand how my survining mechanism is related to this. It really stops me from working and progressing.
nikcho1337
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:47 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: How my poker loses are related to my childhood trauma?

Postby Terry E. » Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:28 am

At some level it brings about a threat response. It is extremely complex, but you know that. I can handle very high level work stress easily, I almost crave it, but could never gamble.

We are all different. Thank you for sharing that and I hope you can find some way to work with it.
Terry E.
Moderator: Consumer
Moderator: Consumer

Local time: Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:47 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)

Re: How my poker loses are related to my childhood trauma?

Postby NewSunRising » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:09 pm

Recovering gambling addict here - Before I stopped gambling for good , I was getting really weird vibrations in my head at bedtime as I lay there waiting for sleep to come . No pain , no warning . It just suddenly felt like my brain/skull was violently shivering . Laying a hand on my head detected no physical movement whatsoever . it lasted anywhere from 1 - 2 minutes . Sometimes it stopped if I sat up , sometimes not .

Gambling triggers all kinds of neurological responses , like increased levels of dopamine and adrenaline.
I'm no doctor but I'm guessing that the near-constant high doses of these two brain chemicals had something to do with what I was experiencing . Within a month of quitting gambling , it all but vanished . Don't know if this helps you in any way but I can tell you this - gambling , even for fun , stresses the mind and body significantly .

All the best ,
NewSunRising
Site Admin

Local time: Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:47 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post