Our partner

Some recent insights on Hyper Vigilance Hyper Arousal

Post Traumatic Stress Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: seabreezeblue, Terry E.

Re: Some recent insights on Hyper Vigilance Hyper Arousal

Postby UnhealedScars » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:55 pm

Terry E. wrote:With me it is always hearing. I would lie awake until my abuser had fallen asleep, only then could I sleep, so I would listen very carefully. When I get triggered I get super hearing, quite freaky really, and it is specific, my hearing is searching for very faint sounds filtering out the noise.

I have the same thing happen to me with the hearing. I can hear everything, even a few rooms down the hall, music is also so clear to me, my hearing is like a super power, just really acute hearing when in distress. Also when not in distress, I feel everything I hear somehow.
Wow I feel very much less weird today.
thanks
UnhealedScars
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:51 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby Terry E. » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:41 pm

It is interesting trying to understand it. I live on a busy road but when triggered that noise drops away or drops out so that it only focuses on noises inside the house. In other words our backgrounds specifically effect house we respond with hyper vigilance/arousal ...and I am betting we will not find that in any pyche books.

I tell myself I am in my own home, with my own family, that this happened a long time ago, yet it does not effect it.

At one point so I could sleep I thought of driving to a motel and booking in, just so I could sleep in a room with a double locked door. Knew how that would really upset my wife, but the urge for safety was so strong, so irrational.
Terry E.
Moderator: Consumer

Local time: Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:51 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Terry E. » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:00 pm

Just in LA for a couple of days and found black horn rim glasses back in fashion. Seriously. I am standing in a queue for coffee in the land that the Mouse built and all of a sudden I am having problems breathing and my pulse has picked up. I thought.... what the heck looked around and saw a brunette in front of me with curly hair wearing them. Yep that was it. Took about 10 minutes to normalise. Got to love this stuff.
Terry E.

Local time: Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:51 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)

Previous

Return to Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post