Our partner

Periods of lost appetite

Physical health message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Periods of lost appetite

Postby abeginning » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:16 pm

Hi

I do not have an eating disorder but I do go through periods of time which could be days or weeks where I can barely eat as a result of my mental state.

My concern is for my health. I've been doing very well mental health wise. I actually made what I think is close to my final breakthrough last March and since then I've felt sure that I'm going to recover though I know I still have a couple years. I never thought about this eating thing much before because it's never impacted me to a great extent. Tonight, I weighed myself and noticed that I'm lighter than I'd ever thought I'd be. I always cycled between 110 and 120 lbs which is a healthy weight but this time the scale said I'm 95. I wonder a bit if it's broken but it's been a pretty long time that I've barely eaten... which still raises the same concern.

These periods of time usually end but if I'm like this for an extended period it threatens my health. There is no way I can force myself to eat normal amounts when I'm like this. I'm looking for things that I can do during these periods of time that'll help preserve my health as much as possible. eg. if I can only force myself to eat small amounts, are there more calorie and nutrient rich foods that I can eat to prevent me losing too much weight? Anything really.

I wasn't sure where to go to ask this question. If this isn't the best place, would anyone know a better place I can go? I'm looking for any recommendations I guess. I also worry at the possibility of passing out (which has never happened to me before) and winding up hospitalized etc. as I don't know what might happen to me if that happened and I know becoming a psychiatric inpatient would have a seriously negative impact on my mental health at this stage...
abeginning
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:54 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Periods of lost appetite

Postby Snaga » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:17 am

I went ahead and approved this for this forum, as you say you don't have an eating disorder. However, I was tempted to move it.

Why can't you eat normal amounts when you're like this? I mean does it turn your stomach? Or is it simply that your stomach has shrunk and you get full too fast?

I remember one time I had weighed myself (this was when I was much younger- now I have trouble being over, not under, weight) after a long period of not having checked it. I was shocked to see I'd inexplicably lost fifteen pounds or so. I'm prone to health-related anxiety (which is a huge understatement). But I did have enough presence of mind (also I'm afraid of doctors) to experiment.

Because I couldn't actually remember how much I'd been eating.... For a week, I ate a fast food burger 'meal', upsized, every day for a meal.

yeah the weight came back. I simply hadn't been eating, for whatever reason.

So my vote would be some Big Macs... probably not the healthiest thing, but it did pack the weight back on.

For a more responsible response, maybe some weight gain powder from the health food store? Like bodybuilders use? Which is about to make me start singing songs from RHPS so I think I'll leave it there... but yeah some bad-for you food like fast food, or something designed for weight gain.

Tell someone you love them today, because Life is short. But scream it at them in Klingon, because Life is also terrifying and confusing.

ISFP

We do not delete posts.
Let it go.
Without (forum) rules, we all might as well be up in a tree flinging our crap at each other.
Snaga
Site Admin

Local time: Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:54 pm

Postby abeginning » Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:21 am

Yeah, I thought at first I should try and post it under eating disorders because I thought people over there might be more likely to have more answers/information but I decided this would be a more appropriate place to try first.

It's like in the first place, I'm very confused and disorganized and sort of far away and I have no appetite so it wouldn't just occur to me naturally to eat. I have to remember to do it and decide consciously to try and make myself eat and then it does turn my stomach. I just... can't. I have no appetite and I'll start gagging. I think it probably is anxiety related.
abeginning
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:54 pm

Postby Snaga » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:32 am

I've known people with severe depression who have developed physical problems with taking in food and digesting it in a timely fashion... Since anxiety is a related thing, maybe it would be wise to make sure there's nothing physical causing this? What makes me say that is the bit about trying to eat making you nauseous.

Tell someone you love them today, because Life is short. But scream it at them in Klingon, because Life is also terrifying and confusing.

ISFP

We do not delete posts.
Let it go.
Without (forum) rules, we all might as well be up in a tree flinging our crap at each other.
Snaga
Site Admin

Local time: Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:54 pm

Return to Physical Health