Our partner

Unbearable back pain

Physical health message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Unbearable back pain

Postby Kara97 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:30 am

I’ve had chronic pain in my upper (left) back for about 3 years now. I feel like it’s always there but if I stand or walk a bit longer, the pain becomes unbearable to the point where I tear up, like someone is stabbing me there. If I ask someone to massage me with the cream up there, if you rub it in circles it feels like there’s something inside which is spreading.
I’ve been to a few doctors; they couldn’t seem to find anything and gave me pills and oils/creams but it didn’t go away. Then I had an MRI + X-ray on the back and neck. Nothing. Then I saw a neurosurgeon who diagnosed me with fibromyalgia and recommended physiotherapy.
Is this surely the case? Has anyone faced something similar? Because I feel like it isn’t going away no matter what
Kara97
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:34 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Unbearable back pain

Postby Wally58 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:50 am

I spent over a year beginning with Chiropracty, then a Spine and Pain Management center. Neither helped. The health insurance company paid for steroid injections, a back brace, a TENS unit, physical therapy, medications/relaxants/anti-inflammatories and nothing was working.
The Physical Therapy was causing more inflammation and making the pain worse. I told them that at each appointment, but they wanted me to continue with it.
During the day, I would look for things around me to lean on or use as a walker. I would grab a roller cart at work or grab a shopping cart in the store parking lot to go shopping. I was beginning to have incontinence if I had to walk any distance. I had to plan ahead when I walked any long distances. The boss saw me stumble sideways at work once. The only real relief was when I lay down at the end of the day.
My pain was getting worse. One spinal PA suggested that it might be all in my head. I had x-rays and MRI which showed inflammation and spondylosis.

Then I went to see a Neurologist that said he thought he could help me with a lumbar laminectomy. I almost cried when he said that and couldn't schedule the operation soon enough.
The problem was pinched nerves all that time. He made room for the nerves during the surgery and today I have a pain-free, full range of motion.
The condition may return one day as my spine ages, but for today I am happy with the results.
Best of luck to you. :D
Wally58
Moderator: Consumer

Local time: Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:34 pm

Postby khin » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:20 am

After 5 years of working, I felt back aches too so started having a monthly massage here: **mod edit**. It did work out for me.
You might want to try having a hot water bath on your body every day(body only not with the head). That might be frozen cold inside the body. You could also try a hot stone massage and have them focus on the part where the pain is unbearable. Whichever you think is effective on your case.
khin
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:34 am

Postby joombo » Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:04 am

I have lower back pain and found many positive reviews about our local chiropractor and massage lab here https://dynamicyyc.com/. Planning to visit massage therapist in the near future. Anybody have experience with a massage therapist/chiropractor? What are your thoughts on chiropractic doctors?
joombo
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:34 pm

Postby Wally58 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:49 am

You can try it. The chiropractor was where I started until I realized that it wasn't working for me.
The chiropractor will want you to keep returning for 'adjustments' and 'maintenance', so the treatment will be ongoing and indefinite.
I felt great for about 20 minutes after a chiropractor visit, but then the pain came back. I realized that something more was wrong and about a year later I had lower back surgery.
It was frustrating having to wait that long for relief. The spine center gave me the runaround until I consulted with a neurologist. They must have thought that I could keep spending money and suffering while nothing they were trying was working.
Every visit they would ask me to rate my pain on a scale of 1 to 10 (with 10 being the highest). I kept saying 9. I would mention that I would stumble sideways while walking (once in front of the boss at work) and lost feeling in my legs. They would go all fizzy. I was also becoming incontinent while walking (as fast and carefully as I could) to the restrooms. My only relief was when I lay down in bed at the end of the day.
The insurance companies have a part in this as they will start authorizing only the basic treatments and move up the ladder of treatments, even though we all knew that surgery was the only answer early on.
I am grateful to the neurologist for solving the pain and am now a bit smarter on how the 'insurance/doctor dance' system works. I'm just a little resentful on how they handled my case.
See my other post on Oct 21st. Best of luck to you. :D
Wally58

Local time: Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:34 pm

Return to Physical Health

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post