Our partner

How to curb the smart phone epidemic..?

Parenting message board, open discussion, and online support group.

How to curb the smart phone epidemic..?

Postby lazarus102 » Tue May 28, 2019 6:19 pm

As posted in another thread of mine, I have been considering adoption or even a foster home setup. My biggest concern with raising kids would be that they'd fall into the smart phone zombie mentality. I want interesting kids that I can interact with, not kids that stumble around the house all day staring at a tiny screen in their hands.. But with the smart phone thing being such an epidemic, were I to disallow smart phones, or even limit their time on them, I could end up with my kids hating me.

Most people tend towards doing things the easy way; give their kid a smart phone, instant zombie, low maintenance kid, lower chance of conflict.

IMHO though, smart phones are like a drug for kids. Try to take em away, the kid would probably hiss at you, scamper into a corner and stroke it whilst stating "my precious!!!".

And that's just the social aspect of it. The things turn kid's brains to mush. They spend the day saying stupid stuff over social media or surfing memes, or the more 'intellectual' ones would build some form of advanced ideology from watching 20-60 minutes worth of YouTube videos.

There is great intellectual leaps that could be made with smart phones if they were used in the right way, but most people use them in the worst way possible. I mean seriously Twitter; I didn't need to know about so-and-so taking a dump, nor did a need a picture of what it looked like...

I just want to know how one would go about keeping their kids away from smart phones without isolating them from their peers, and "screwing up" their lives. Is it even possible or are in-home limitations the best we can hope for?
lazarus102
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Local time: Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:56 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: How to curb the smart phone epidemic..?

Postby Oblivion » Wed May 29, 2019 8:28 pm

I don't think there's anything anyone can do. There's already chatter from the scientific/medical community on how smartphone use can cause depression and obesity in kids, and I fail to see how that could be untrue.

Try to get between a kid and his smartphone and you will be seen as a pariah. Or worse.

I've never owned a smartphone but I assume they give off some videodrome-like signal that makes one susceptible to the magnificent glory of looking at other people's sandwiches and retweeting mean-spirited memes about fat chicks.

I try to peek at people's screens and always see the same thing. Either they're texting (im on the bus where are you / im on the toilet / we just passed a house. cool / wiping now / cool), or playing a game, or looking at advertisements disguised as web pages. And then there's the facebook: The life you wish you had but can't because you're on social media. More sandwiches. Videos of people sitting around with nothing to say to each other. Once I saw a video of some girl looking at her phone. I suppose the audio, which I was not privy to, was revealing the meaning of life...the final truth: 50% off at Dress Barn!!!

Smartphones have become the henchmen of unbridled capitalism. They were supposed to make things "easier". Nonsense. Things are already too easy.

Give up on the kids. They're already doomed. Try taking in stray dogs or something. They're better conversationalists.
Oblivion
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:56 am

Postby lazarus102 » Wed May 29, 2019 9:21 pm

Tbh, growing up with a mother that seemed to love her cat more than me; I never really did grow to be much of an animal lover. Ya, they're cute, sometimes affectionate, I don't mind having them around but they're not people. And above all, an animal isn't a legacy of any kind, they don't offer the kind of meaning to your life that kids could. My mother and I have had 3-4 cats die on us. She gets heartbroken over it, I don't really think much of it. Like, I miss having it around, but not like I put years into teaching/training it into being something awesome and unique. It's main driving force is eat, sleep, and $#%^. If I could get attached to that, I woulda stayed with my ex.

I was thinking about it, and home schooling may be the only way to do it really. And I'd just have to adopt 2 kids so they don't miss out on learning to socialize with people their age.
Sides with home schooling, I could give them a more direct and fulfilling education with less repetition and useless classes. Could also teach them the stuff that schools have weeded out, like critical thinking.
It's just a theory I'm working with atm, but, without all the useless padding in education, it may be possible to have a 9-11 year old that already knows advanced algebra and/or computer programming. I mean really, why have home ec class? Any parent worth their salt should be teaching their kids that stuff at home. Gym/sports, really, shouldn't that be more of an after school thing? Kids are information sponges compared to us old folk; we should be teaching them all that we can before their brains go all derpy from watching too many memes..
lazarus102
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Postby Oblivion » Wed May 29, 2019 9:50 pm

Well, the animal suggestion was mostly a joke, maybe a veiled attempt to express the opposite sentiment that you just laid down. I never did like kids much, even when I was one. They're like ids with big mouths. But somebody has to like them, and your intentions are good. Coupled with your attitude, I can't help but think any success you have in your endeavor can only make the world a better place.

I agree about homeschooling to a point. From what I can gather, schools have become a toxic environment. But it teaches socialization skills, for better or for worse. I can't help but think that if I had kids in public schools I'd probably spend more time assisting them with the pitfalls of "growing up with a bunch of future assholes" than with homework. But then again my childhood was a minefield of trauma so maybe I'm biased.

Just make sure any kids you raise and homeschool don't become isolated weirdos (says the isolated weirdo). Or snotty know-it-alls. Street smarts are an important lesson, too. Not learning that kind of stuff until adulthood is not a good thing.
Oblivion
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Brandon1 » Thu May 30, 2019 4:05 am

If you wouldn't let your kids be themselves, you'd be a bad parent and you shouldn't have kids. Smart phones would only be an issue if it caused dysfunction in their life, not yours. Don't be selfish.

This isn't even the appropriate forum for this topic.
Brandon1
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Snaga » Thu May 30, 2019 5:34 am

Moved to Parenting

Tell someone you love them today, because Life is short. But scream it at them in Klingon, because Life is also terrifying and confusing.

ISFP

We do not delete posts.
Let it go.
Without (forum) rules, we all might as well be up in a tree flinging our crap at each other.
Snaga
Site Admin

Postby lazarus102 » Fri May 31, 2019 7:48 am

Snaga wrote:Moved to Parenting

Thank you so much for moving it to a forum with only 37 total posts, I didn't want it to get viewed or anything..

-- Fri May 31, 2019 12:53 am --

Brandon1 wrote:If you wouldn't let your kids be themselves, you'd be a bad parent and you shouldn't have kids. Smart phones would only be an issue if it caused dysfunction in their life, not yours. Don't be selfish.

This isn't even the appropriate forum for this topic.

And people like you are the problem with this world. Your mouth is bigger than your IQ..
You obviously didn't even read the OP, or you feel that all kids should be raised exactly the same, put a smart phone in their hand, march them into the factory so they can be trained to be exactly like every other human person. YOU shouldn't have kids, it'd be a waste of time, they'd just end up like every other prick out there, might as well go throw a glass of water into the ocean while you're at it.
lazarus102
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Postby lazarus102 » Fri May 31, 2019 8:15 am

Oblivion wrote:Well, the animal suggestion was mostly a joke, maybe a veiled attempt to express the opposite sentiment that you just laid down. I never did like kids much, even when I was one. They're like ids with big mouths. But somebody has to like them, and your intentions are good. Coupled with your attitude, I can't help but think any success you have in your endeavor can only make the world a better place.

I agree about homeschooling to a point. From what I can gather, schools have become a toxic environment. But it teaches socialization skills, for better or for worse. I can't help but think that if I had kids in public schools I'd probably spend more time assisting them with the pitfalls of "growing up with a bunch of future assholes" than with homework. But then again my childhood was a minefield of trauma so maybe I'm biased.

Just make sure any kids you raise and homeschool don't become isolated weirdos (says the isolated weirdo). Or snotty know-it-alls. Street smarts are an important lesson, too. Not learning that kind of stuff until adulthood is not a good thing.

I could deal with snotty know-it-alls, so long as they actually knew it all XD.. I'd rather that over creating another copy/paste human person. Sides, the smartest people out there aren't generally social pariahs.
But you'd generally be right about the spending more time assisting them with school drama than homework. Kid gets teased at school, or some girl that he likes doesn't like him back and his life is over.. Drama central, put away all the IQ boosting stuff, time for stupid woman boo hoo cry-time.. Hours of it, and no progression. I really went through the ringer in school, and to think of the kinda stuff that kids these days become total drama queens over, just pisses me off.. You've got 500 friends on facebook and 15-30 friends at school, but your life is over because one person isn't into you.. I had no friends in school, the internet barely existed and girls didn't even act like I was a human being, but YOU got issues?

I originally fought the idea of home schooling based on similar arguments involving socialization, but when push comes to shove, I'd rather have genius kids that could go down in history for their achievements, than to have social pariah kids that accomplish nothing notable in their lives. Although, with smart phones, most the kids in public school aren't even all that social anymore unless their on a machine of some sort.. The social argument woulda made more sense in the times that we grew up. They could learn about as much socialization as they'd need now, through internet chat rooms.
lazarus102
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Postby Brandon1 » Fri May 31, 2019 4:30 pm

lazarus102 wrote:And people like you are the problem with this world. Your mouth is bigger than your IQ..
You obviously didn't even read the OP, or you feel that all kids should be raised exactly the same, put a smart phone in their hand, march them into the factory so they can be trained to be exactly like every other human person. YOU shouldn't have kids, it'd be a waste of time, they'd just end up like every other prick out there, might as well go throw a glass of water into the ocean while you're at it.

Yeah, whatever prick. Take some ######6 responsibility and admit that you're selfish.
Brandon1
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby lazarus102 » Fri May 31, 2019 8:43 pm

Brandon1 wrote:
lazarus102 wrote:And people like you are the problem with this world. Your mouth is bigger than your IQ..

Yeah, whatever prick. Take some ######6 responsibility and admit that you're selfish.

Quite the opposite really. Unlike a lot of parents, I want to actually take a part in raising my kid. Not just be another lazy prick that puts a smartphone in their kid's hand and let the phone do most of the work. But you're obviously just another mindless, social media addicted millennial, so there's no point in explaining any of this to you.
lazarus102
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Next

Return to School Aged Children