Our partner

16 Going on 6?

Parenting message board, open discussion, and online support group.

16 Going on 6?

Postby castlestassy » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:32 pm

Hi, my name is Chris, I am new to the forum.

My simple question is about a stuffed animal my daughter is attached to. Should my wife and I take it? We are concerned that her 'relationship' with this inanimate object is a problem. When we look it up on the web, it seems normal enough but the animal is like 3 feet long and BIG. She sleeps with it every night for years but is is filthy looking and we are worried about germs. It is too big for the washing machine and all of this has come to a head now that she is sick for the 3rd time this winter.

There are other cleanliness, hygiene and general teenage issues that we see as problems but she gets very upset when we threaten to take the animal.

Has anyone seen this? Is it something we should / shouldn't do? This is just strange and annoying in my mind, any help would be appreciated.
castlestassy
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri May 14, 2021 6:26 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: 16 Going on 6?

Postby BelleCat » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:30 pm

I have seen some girls like your daughter,but most of the time their classmates make fun of them.
Does your daughter have any friends at school?I wouldn't be so hard on her if she didn't.
BelleCat
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Sat May 15, 2021 2:56 am

Postby Shattered Mind » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:37 pm

I don't think the OP will be returning, but I just wanted to make a comment for future readers. I am in my mid 20s and have had the same plushie for over a decade. I am attached to it and I would resent anyone who took it from me even as a joke. If the OP wants to damage his relationship with his daughter than by all means take the plushie. Just keep in mind the only person annoyed by it seems to be you! I brought him to college with me and none of my roommates thought it was strange or odd. I had one roommate that was amused that I would take it with me wherever I was going to be sleeping that night, but that's it. My socal life has never been great but I'm not going to blame my plushie for that. I did have a close friend, boyfriend and kind of had other friends in college.

Plush animals can be cleaned and my personal experience has taught me the washer isn't the best way (Although if you have a front loader that may still be an option). They can be hand cleaned in the sink with a stff brush (I use a toothbrush on mine) and regular detergent. It's not the fastest way, but its safe and it works. I let it air dry afterwards.

-S
Dx: Recurrent Major Depressive Disorder, Generalized Anxiety Disorder
Shattered Mind
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri May 14, 2021 6:26 pm

Postby CammieMe » Sat May 19, 2018 10:20 am

castlestassy wrote:Hi, my name is Chris, I am new to the forum.

My simple question is about a stuffed animal my daughter is attached to. Should my wife and I take it? We are concerned that her 'relationship' with this inanimate object is a problem. When we look it up on the web, it seems normal enough but the animal is like 3 feet long and BIG. She sleeps with it every night for years but is is filthy looking and we are worried about germs. It is too big for the washing machine and all of this has come to a head now that she is sick for the 3rd time this winter.

There are other cleanliness, hygiene and general teenage issues that we see as problems but she gets very upset when we threaten to take the animal.

Has anyone seen this? Is it something we should / shouldn't do? This is just strange and annoying in my mind, any help would be appreciated.

There girls like your daughter and some are being bullied. Its good that she'll have friends in school to guide her.
CammieMe
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Sat May 15, 2021 7:26 am

Return to School Aged Children