Our partner

Detachment

Parenting message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Detachment

Postby crystal_richardson_ » Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:16 am

I have a question.

For those of you who are parents, is it a condition of your 'love' or support for your child that they be attached to you and you feel attached to them?

Would you disown your child - in the form of kicking them out of your house, etc. - if you did not feel as though you were attached and they were attached to you even though they were fullfulfilling all the duties of being a son or daughter, spoke respectfully, listened to you, and even excelled in things like school and did not cause you any other problems?

assume that the child's detachment is just the way they are, or choose to be.
crystal_richardson_
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:36 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Detachment

Postby WichitaLineman » Wed May 13, 2015 3:43 am

crystal_richardson_ wrote:I have a question.

For those of you who are parents, is it a condition of your 'love' or support for your child that they be attached to you and you feel attached to them?

Not at all. I prefer that they not feel attached, and feel free to find their own way in life. It might be a condition of my support that they have some backbone and can tough things out on their own. A certain level of stoicism and independence.

Would you disown your child - in the form of kicking them out of your house, etc. - if you did not feel as though you were attached and they were attached to you even though they were fullfulfilling all the duties of being a son or daughter, spoke respectfully, listened to you, and even excelled in things like school and did not cause you any other problems?
Nope. What you've described would actually be an ideal situation for me as a parent.
forum rules

Safe at home.

The sidewalk lines, gadunk gadunk gadunk gdai
WichitaLineman
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:36 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Parenting Forum