Our partner

Why do we live in a world where pedos are looked down upon?

Paraphilias message board, open discussion, and online support group.
Forum rules
================================================

The Paraphilias Forum is now closed for new posts. It is against the Forum Rules to discuss paraphilias as the main topic of a post anywhere at PsychForums.

================================================

You are entering a forum that contains discussions of a sexual nature, some of which are explicit. The topics discussed may be offensive to some people. Please be aware of this before entering this forum.

This forum is intended to be a place where people can support each other in finding healing and healthy ways of functioning. Discussions that promote illegal activity will not be tolerated. Please note that this forum is moderated, and people who are found to be using this forum for inappropriate purposes will be banned. Psychforums works hard to ensure that this forum is law abiding. Moderators will report evidence of illegal activity to the police.

Why do we live in a world where pedos are looked down upon?

Postby msclvr92 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:46 am

Firstly, if this is the wrong place to talk about this, then I'm sorry. Because I think this board is for more psychological issues and not society issues. But I feel that this is one of the best places on the internet to post this because so many people will understand. Please understand, I want to talk about this because I feel strongly about it. If this isn't the right place then I would like someone to tell me of a site that I can post this on. But anyway...

What kind of world is this where it's okay to hate someone for something they can't control. When most people say they hate pedophiles, they forget that they are including regular people, who want to share this Earth with other people, who just have problems. They just want to live a normal life, and enjoy things everybody else does. They don't all want to have sex with children. It's the ones that do that we should be aware of. I agree with protecting children, but that doesn't mean to dehumanize people with pedophilia. Why does everybody think pedophiles are single-minded child-harming machines who have no purpose other than harming the world. They are people, too! I hope that one day people aren't hated for things they can't control, anymore. Does anyone agree with me?
msclvr92
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:38 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Why do we live in a world where pedos are looked down up

Postby GinaSmith » Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:30 am

Hi there,

I think you're posting that in the right place. This article might offer a glimmer of hope, even if there's some claptrap about brain abnormalities.
GinaSmith
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:38 am

Postby Graveyard » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:11 am

msclvr92 wrote:I hope that one day people aren't hated for things they can't control, anymore. Does anyone agree with me?

I completely agree. It's a shame that some people don't seem to realise that there's more to an individual than who they are wired up to be sexually attracted to.
Graveyard
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Blog: View Blog (5)

Postby HaxX » Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:59 am

Most strong feelings people have such as hate are based on the instinctive motivations of the animal brain. Hatreds usually spring from fear of the unknown, or fear of harm and loss. In the case of pedophilia it would be: Pedophile!=Danger to offspring!=hate/aggression. The fact that our society is constantly re-enforcing negative stereotypes about pedophilia whips the public at large into a frenzy.

In humans, a social species, part of finding belonging within the community is by hating a common enemy. It could be pedophiles, communists, gays, whatever is popular at the time. The only way to help tone down the problem is through openess and education, so that people with this philia are no longer viewed as "others" who are all out to get their children, but as simply people.
HaxX
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby HaroldTheImpaler » Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:52 pm

It's very cyclical. People hate pedophiles because they honestly think that all pedophiles are child molesters. This is because pedophiles who don't rape children are afraid to come out (while those who do are sort of forced to by getting caught). They are afraid to come out because of the social stigma- caused by the negative impressions society has of pedophiles. It's a horrid cycle.

I don't think it's so much fear of the unknown. Most people just don't think about it and assume that every pedophile can't control themself and goes ahead and rapes children. It takes quite a bit of explaining to get people to understand that no, there are quite a few pedophiles who aren't complete monsters. This false link people make between pedophiles and child molesters is the reason for the stigma, and it won't end until enough pedos come out that people see the link is incorrect. Of course, pedos don't want to come out because of the stigma, which is the problem.
HaroldTheImpaler
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:38 am

Postby Blben » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:24 pm

Its easier for people to look down upon people like me because then they don't have to deal with us. I have been hated for so many years by people because I am a pedophile that I have come to accept it. My parents found out I was a pedophile when they found childrens underwear in my closet that weren't mine as a kid and they found magazines and other material, so instead of trying to understand me they cast me aside and wanted nothing to do with me even though I tried my hardest to explain myself to them. My dad asked me to my face if I was a pedophile and I just couldn't lie to him and I told him that I was, yet he just assumed that I was a monster because that is what society taught him to be. That is how everyone in my family treated me and still treat me to this day. Its all because of FEAR of not understanding something that is above them.
Blben
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:38 am

Postby Z3nh7p0crite » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:03 am

Blben wrote:Its easier for people to look down upon people like me because then they don't have to deal with us. I have been hated for so many years by people because I am a pedophile that I have come to accept it. My parents found out I was a pedophile when they found childrens underwear in my closet that weren't mine as a kid and they found magazines and other material, so instead of trying to understand me they cast me aside and wanted nothing to do with me even though I tried my hardest to explain myself to them. My dad asked me to my face if I was a pedophile and I just couldn't lie to him and I told him that I was, yet he just assumed that I was a monster because that is what society taught him to be. That is how everyone in my family treated me and still treat me to this day. Its all because of FEAR of not understanding something that is above them.

Don't expect your own family to treat you differently. They love you and know how you normally act. Now there is just one more thing they can think about you when you come to mind but more than likely they will choose happier things to think of you by. Your family always loves you no matter who you are.
Z3nh7p0crite
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby Pig » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:33 pm

People, who treat pedos like crap, don't do anything to help and support pedos. And because people, who treat pedos like crap, don't help and support pedos, they actually don't care about children at all. They actually silently support child molestation, but of course they don't realize that. Hopefully they don't really want to support molestation. Those kind of people are even much worse in my eyes than child molesters. But that's only my opinion.
Pig
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:38 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby TurningACorner » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:21 am

msclvr92,

I think the only real explanation for the reason people compaer pedophiles with child abusers mostly has to do with the world of media and the terms reporters use to describe an individual who abuses a child.

In my time here I have learned and accepted that not all pedophiles are child abusers. It was hard for me to sign-on to this website to talk about my own history with being sexually abused as a child, but even harder when was skimming through the different forums and found this one. Initially I did think that my presence here could be positive for myself if I asked the right questions. I thought maybe I would get some understanding for the reasons I was abused. I can't begin to count how many times I've asked myself, "Why me? What was it about me that adults wanted to abuse me?" I know of many other victims who have asked themselves those same questions. I thought if I asked pedophiles those questions, maybe I could get some information that would help me further myself in my own journey toward healing. Although I also didn't know how people would view me, since I don't share the same sexual desires of many here. I am not a pedophile. Luckily, many have been receptive to my words and have either replied positive feedback in my posts or sent me a private message.

I think "pedophile" is a more "WOW" word. Child abuser is just as powerful I suppose, but mothers who spank their children for disciplinary reasons can also be criminal charged with child abuse. I think when people use the word "pedophile" there's the immediate assumption that he/she sexually abuses/rapes children. If I'm being absolutely honest, I have been guilty many times of using that word to describe someone I know who has abused children, or even my own abusers. The fact remains that these people are indeed pedophiles, but I'm also trying to change my perception and wording that they are "child-abusing pedophiles."

People usually hate others because deep down inside they hate themselves. They are usually unhappy with their own lives. However, I think this kind of hate was born from the misuse of the word by new media reporters, law agencies, and criminal courts. I'm sure it's misused in the mental health field and other areas of society.

Anyway that's my observation, coming from a non-pedophile. I hope it makes sense to you and I hope you're able to figure things out for yourself and I also hope that if you are a pedophile that you never act out on your desires.

Best regards,
Jack
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is if good men do nothing." Edmund Burke
TurningACorner
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:38 am

Postby Fengxian » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:41 am

Everytime I try to explain on other forums that peadophiles are for the most part, just people with different sexual attractions, I get accused of supporting child molesters even though thinking about children in a sexual way is not a crime!

It also annoys me that they ignore the fact that paedophilia and ephebophilia used to be social norms only a 100 years ago or so since people didn't live as long so people married and had children as young as possible. It's also socially accepted in some countries nowadays too.

I wrote a blog post on it once...

http://musingsofamisanthropist.blogspot ... hilia.html
Fengxian
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Blog: View Blog (3)

Next

Return to Paraphilias Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views