Our partner

Panic Attack Triggered by Dream Recall. Help.

Panic Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Re: Panic Attack Triggered by Dream Recall. Help.

Postby Jitjot » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:08 pm

I have had similar issues for many years.

I recently had morning panic attacks as I drift out of sleep into being awake and intrubtonrecall what it is I was dreaming about. Because I’m tired I find it hard to recall. I think overseas abiir rembeeint and it feels like a massive strain. I think start to panic because I can’t atop the obesesaion to recall and it’s like I’m grasping at feathers and incsnt catch the all.

So here is the insight that may help others too.

I think Inhave a OCD and the dreaming and awakening is when the monkey mind/Sub conscious do a hand over to the awake mind.

The awake mind knows it was just in monkey-mind land and wants to rationalize what itnhad just been thinking about. But it can’t and the monkey mind tells the awake mind that it’s critical to recall.

CBT May help. Tapping and then telling yourself you are ok.

I have been able to control this over the last few weeks by ignoring thrbmonkey kind tempting me to recall. I breath and say to myself that it’s not important at all.

So now when I wake up, I do not recall or try to recall my dreams at all. I know where it will lead me if I do try.

Hope this helps.
Jitjot
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:15 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby illiteratesage » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:23 am

Is anyone still around? I had this exact same thing happen to me. I get it about once a month, usually when I'm just waking up, and then I get little "mini-flashbacks" in the following days after a larger episode.

I actually got an MRI and EEG, which showed nothing. My doctor offered to prescribe me on seizure medication for frontal temporal seizures, but I was worried about side effects/I wasn't convinced that was what it was, so I didn't go on them. And I started getting them a little after I turned 17, and we thought it might've resulted from a possible unnoticed brain trauma while I was playing soccer? However, I also started researching panic disorder, which also sounds really possibly, especially since to me it feels almost too connected to my psyche to just be actual brain damage vs a nervous disorder?

If anyone gets answers, please post!
illiteratesage
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:15 am

Postby Rails34 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:44 pm

I’ve been diagnosed with panic disorder and have it mostly under control,however I too have been having this problem since last year after being hospitalized for severe anxiety. It happens mostly before I go to bed and is extremely uncomfortable. I seem to remember dreams from years ago,and the feeling washes over me. I’ve tried everything to make it go away, however nothing seems to work. I’m 49 years old and feel like a child,afraid of nothing and everything at the same time. I don’t take benzodiazepines being a recovering addict. I’m currently taking 150 mg of seroquel at bedtime and I am sleeping,but the fear of being afraid is sometimes paralyzing. There is a scientific reason this happens,somehow tied to your middle brain but it doesn’t help knowing this when I’m in it. I’m sorry for anyone going through this.
Rails34
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:15 am

Postby Snaga » Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:46 pm

I don't have panic attacks from recalling dreams, but I do have the (thankfully) very rare occasional sleep period where my dreams are disordered, disturbing, and while I wouldn't classify it as a panic attack, very anxiety producing. I will feel insane until I get up and begin moving around so as to be more completely conscious, when that is going on, the least little bit of mind-rest and my brain goes back into the bad place. And I'll be afraid, the next time I try to sleep, worried it will happen again (with the accompanying fear that I'll never sleep, and go insane). I always do have a good night after that, though.

Trouble and anxiety concerning sleep is something I'm not sure I'd wish on my worst enemy. It just so totally messes with a person's mind.

Tell someone you love them today, for Life is short. But scream it at them in Klingon, for Life is also terrifying and confusing.

We do not delete posts.
Let it go.
Without (forum) rules, we all might as well be up in a tree flinging our crap at each other.
Snaga
Site Admin

Local time: Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:15 am

Postby Lavinasativa » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:12 pm

Had to register just to comment here-
28yr old woman currently diagnosed with BPD as well as fibromyalgia. I've been experience these dream recall attacks for a few months now, and finding this forum-as someone else had said- nearly made me cry. I know none of us have answers but just knowing I'm not alone in this is kind of a relief, though I'm sorry you're all dealing with this.
Most of my googling thus far has turned up results relating to anxiety dreams which I also didn't know was a thing. Is it possible were eebering small mundane parts of our anxiety dreams which our brain then remembers the feeling of fear even though the memory wasn't scary?
I don't know man brains are weird... for me it's a sudden feeling almost like de ja vu but it's I've dreamed this before instead of doing it before.. so like you've said my brain tried to place the memory, but then I get very hot and tingly and nauseous and light headed.. I don't even necessarily feel scared or anxious but I can feel all the physical symptoms of the attack. Then I either distract myself or ride it out.. it has caused me to throw up more than once... I hope someone figures this out soon. Best of luck everyone <3
Lavinasativa
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:15 am

Previous

Return to Panic Disorder

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post