Our partner

Atypical Panic Disorder?

Panic Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Atypical Panic Disorder?

Postby QueenofHearts42 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:51 am

I've been diagnosed with an atypical panic disorder. I have no history of panic attacks, no history of anxiety or depression, and generally experience low levels of stress; I am a calm under pressure sort. About 6 months ago, I woke up with a strange tingling sensation that ran across my entire chest, and a tightness in my chest. After hours of trying to ignore it and go back to sleep, I started having intermittent nausea and tingling down my arms. I have no doubt the concern about having a heart attack led me to panic a little. At the ER they found no sign of heart issues and diagnosed me with atypical gerd and sent me home. A week later, it happened again. Knowing it wasn't my heart, I tried to meditate and ignore the feelings but they persisted. When I woke up in the morning they were still there, so I saw my primary care. She diagnosed me with atypical gerd, atypical panic attack, depression (no history), and told me that I must have been hyperventilating, despite the fact that the tingling persisted while I was holding measured, steady conversations with her and my husband. She prescribed strong anti-anxiety meds and told me to take them for 6 months. I fired her and threw the script in the trash. My new doctor has checked my hormone levels (normal) and had me wear a heart monitor (some ectopic rhythm) but hasn't found any other reason for my continued symptoms. She's stumped and leaning towards the panic diagnosis. I now experience several hot flashes a day. I get the tingling pretty much every day off and on, but less intense than the firs few months, and for the past 6 days my tongue and lips have felt slightly numb and tingly. I swear to god, I am not hyperventilating. I can live with all of these symptoms, though I'd appreciate it if they didn't wake me up. There is nothing stressful going on in my life. I have fulfilling friendships, lovely kids, a supportive husband, and no money trouble. I'm not depressed, and this only bothers me because I just don't get it. How does one suddenly get panic attack symptoms without any panic and no history? I should stress that at no point during these episodes is my heart racing, nor am I thinking about stressful or worrying things. I'd love everyone's thoughts.
QueenofHearts42
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:03 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Atypical Panic Disorder?

Postby Snaga » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:02 pm

I've always been very stressful, so I can attest to all sorts of strange physical manifestations of stress. And I've known others with tingling in hands, etc., because of stress...

And these things will come on sudden, and persist for a while. For me, an anxiety symptom will plague me for a while, then get replaced by something else. I've had just about everything.

As for the why.. maybe, if you're willing, a therapist could help you discover why this is happening to you- maybe something hidden deep down that you're not consciously aware of?

Tell someone you love them today, for Life is short. But scream it at them in Klingon, for Life is also terrifying and confusing.

We do not delete posts.
Let it go.
Without (forum) rules, we all might as well be up in a tree flinging our crap at each other.
Snaga
Site Admin

Local time: Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:03 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Panic Disorder

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post