Our partner

How to feel better after experiencing a panic attack?

Panic Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

How to feel better after experiencing a panic attack?

Postby awwndrea » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:59 pm

Hi. I'm a teenager and I today was the first time I had a panic attack at school. I have experienced it before but today was different. I first started having my symptoms and I immediately asked for a bathroom pass and spent the next few minutes texting my mom and crying in the bathroom stall. My dad quickly came and picked me up, but now I feel really bad about what happened and scared it'll happen again. I'm also worried about going back to school tomorrow and facing anyone who saw me in that state. I can't seem to get my mind off of what happened. So, can anyone tell me what they do to feel better once they're back home after a bad day?
awwndrea
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:02 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: How to feel better after experiencing a panic attack?

Postby girlanachronism93 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:48 pm

Hey awwndrea,

That sounds like it must have really sucked. It's understandable that you're upset about it and worried it might happen again but you shouldn't feel bad about it; It's not your fault. I can see why you're also worried about seeing the people who saw you in that state but the only advice I can offer is to try think about how you didn't consciously or intentionally do anything and so it's isn't your fault. If anyone says anything mean to you about it just know that you are bigger than them.

I've recently been diagnosed with anxiety and have suffered a few panic attacks so I understand that it can be difficult to stop thinking about it or worrying about things. But believe me, this makes it worse. When this kind of thing happens to me I take big deep breaths and try to think about more positive things like things I am grateful for, such as having a supportive, caring family.

If I've had a bad day in general I personally like to get into comfy mode. Pajamas, film, blanket and a cup of tea.

I'm really sorry for the slow response but hopefully this has helped and I hope you feel better. :)
girlanachronism93
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:02 am

Postby awwndrea » Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:08 am

Thank you so much for your reply! I actually did end up getting comfy and taking a nap and I felt a little better. I finally got to meet with a new therapist and hopefully she will be able to help me out. Thanks again and best wishes.
awwndrea
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:02 am

Postby girlanachronism93 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:47 pm

That's great news! I'm glad you're feeling better and I hope it goes well with your new therapist. All the best! :D
girlanachronism93
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:02 am

Postby Bandan » Thu May 19, 2016 3:27 pm

I can`t stay indifferent, because I did have panic attacks at one point in my life... After experiencing it for the first time, I was mostly afraid that it might go back. This was a pure terror. I think that you just have to learn how to convince yourself that this will not happen because you are in charge of your own body and mind. You have to talk to yourself, knowing that this is not real, that you can`t go crazy or die because of this...
Bandan
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:02 pm

Return to Panic Disorder

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post