Our partner

Panic Disorder and 'Bladder Panic'

Panic Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Panic Disorder and 'Bladder Panic'

Postby UnderstandingMyself » Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:42 pm

Hi everyone,

About two years ago I was diagnosed with panic disorder, alongside generalised anxiety disorder, OCD and clinical depression. I have had rather a lot of therapy which was been very helpful in helping me to manage these conditions. I am no longer clinically depressed and I understand my OCD much better now.

The problem for me at the moment is the panic disorder, which I've never had specific treatment for. I am finding it is dictating how I live my life at the moment. For example, I have developed this embarrassing symptom where I suddenly panic that I'm going to wet myself whilst out in public. It seems to be triggered by having to stand in long queues, being somewhere where there is no nearby toilet or a lot of people to one toilet (like a supermarket or shop or event or train station etc, lots of places) and also when I am talking to someone I don't know very well. I think it's because I feel 'trapped' like I can't get away and it makes me panic and think 'oh god what if I just wet myself right here.' It is AWFUL and a real challenge to cope with.

I have basically been staying at home most of the time avoiding having to deal with this, because I don't really know how to deal with it. When I go out, the 'bladder' panic can happen at any time (it happened twice yesterday when I went to a market and stallholders starting talking to me) so naturally I avoid triggers wherever possible because they are distressing. My GP referred me to a continence nurse and I have been given the all clear there, so it's not actually a bladder issue, it's an anxiety/panic issue.

I know from my OCD treatment that I need to expose myself to these fears because I have become somewhat of an agoraphobe. But how do I do this with panic disorder and how do I manage the bladder panic? I've never lost control of my bladder but it feels so much like I'm going to wet myself that it terrifies me.

Thanks in advance for any help.
UnderstandingMyself
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:20 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Panic Disorder and 'Bladder Panic'

Postby Maya01 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:40 am

I am not a Dr. But i have suffered some anxiety-panic episodes mostly when facing a decision that i have to make, so the trigggers in my case are very different from yours and i dont have OCD, but i have read a lot about this things. And myquestion is, your bladder fear you think is more related to the panic disorder or the OCD?... I ask you this because i have read that people with OCD tend to have fears such as they may have forgot the stove on (for example) so they get back several times to recheck if they turned off or not, so my question if in your case your trigger may be the OCD or the panic itself? What does yor dr said?

Regarding the panic, i know that certain antidepressants control and reduce the recurrence of panic attacks, but obviously that is something that your dr. Has to recommend or not if he thinks so. In anycase, you have to learn how to identify your triggers and to rationalize your fears, the panic is not real, i mean the threat that causes the panic is not real, since clearly you have been told that you do not have any clinical issues at all with your bladder. Breathing techniques and positive affirmations are recommeded to overcome a panic episode.

I guess you should go to your doctor to follow his advice, but i agree with you that avoiding situations that cause you fears actually reinforces the fears, so somehow little by little and with support from your family/DR./Loved ones one has to conquer our fears and expand the confort zone.
I hope this helps! I wish you the best...
Maya01
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:50 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Panic Disorder

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post