Our partner

ODD, Autistic, Mixed expressive-receptive disorder

Oppositional Defiant Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

ODD, Autistic, Mixed expressive-receptive disorder

Postby RapidMallard78 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:23 pm

Challenging. Not only that, we recently found out that mom is a psychopath. Our granddaughter. Great. We now have custody of our great-granddaughter. We have come a long way with her but it is still a struggle. Communication can be very difficult. Some days are absolutely fantastic. Most days in fact. But sometimes I feel I cause the problems. What I perceive her as being defiant could actually be her inability to express herself. At those times all she is able to say is no. I need to be able to define a strategy to tell the difference. She does have difficulties getting up in the morning, partly due to nightmares. I really need to slow myself down and take deep breaths. She also goes through these phases when she wants everyone to do everything for her. Go get her this, do that for her, get over here right now! "I can't do it...please help me", even though I know she knows how to do it.

She is in intense therapy. We tried the reward method and worked quite well for some time. Now she's not interested in any rewards. An ever evolving challenge. I imagine she has a lot of fears and confusion that she doesn't know how to express. I'm not sure what I should do about the non-compliance in the mornings. Do I dress her myself or let her miss her transport? She's 7 years old. She's unable to attend public school. She's in a lockdown therapeutic school with a personal aide. I've come to the conclusion that it is my responsibility to make sure she gets to school. Therefore I should forcibly dress her and carry her out to her transport until such time as I can smooth out the morning routine. I'm thinking about the alarm clock. There is that power struggle at the first sound of my voice. But she is also autistic and is sound sensitive. I'm afraid that may make it worse. Any other suggestions??
RapidMallard78
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:10 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: ODD, Autistic, Mixed expressive-receptive disorder

Postby RapidMallard78 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:20 pm

Had a nice crackling fire last night and this morning to get the chill out of the air and she's all smiles and ready to go this morning. Maybe it was just too cold for her. I know that makes me grumpy in the morning.
RapidMallard78
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:10 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Oppositional Defiant Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post