Our partner

Is this pure O or just social anxiety?

Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Snaga

Is this pure O or just social anxiety?

Postby Proteon » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:09 pm

Hi everyone,

For as long as I remember I have had severe anxiety. As a kid I had regular OCD. I had to perform some action otherwise I thought something bad would happen.

The thoughts changed as time went on - straightening coasters, washing my hands regularly, turning the lights on and off a set number of times, looking into the far corner of each room etc.

When I got older my illness seemed to develop into "Pure O". I didn't have the outward compulsions anymore but I would get deeply worried about a certain thought. For instance, for many years I couldn't eat meat because I feared chocking. Another one was the thought "how do I breath", I couldn't stop consciously thinking about how I breathed. I became really anxious that if I didn't consciously think about it I would stop breathing.

After many years battling with these thoughts, it seemed like I had recovered. The thoughts stopped. I was around the age of 18 and I was still really anxious at the time but I didn't have any "stuck" thoughts troubling me anymore. I developed a relationship with a girl, I was very anxious but I had confidence in my ability to make people laugh. She really emphasied the fact that she found me funny. One day I had the thought "how am I funny", "what is humour"?

It eventually led to me being really super anxious about humour. I continue to think these thoughts especially when I am talking to people. It feels like I am no longer on autopilot. I have had this for 11 years now, the girl dumped me (obviously). I've lost all my "good" friends. They don't know who I am anymore. Does anyone know what this is? Has anyone experienced something similar? I am really stuck and suffering from a deep depression.
Proteon
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:13 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Is this pure O or just social anxiety?

Postby Snaga » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:25 pm

To me it sounds more like OCD, than just social anxiety- because it began by worrying about how you were acting, yes? And you have a long history of OCD-like thought patterns.

Tell someone you love them today, because Life is short. But scream it at them in Klingon, because Life is also terrifying and confusing.

We do not delete posts.
Let it go.
Without (forum) rules, we all might as well be up in a tree flinging our crap at each other.
Snaga
Site Admin

Local time: Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:13 pm

Re: Is this pure O or just social anxiety?

Postby Proteon » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:51 pm

Hi Snaga,

Thank you for your reply. Yes, it started when I was overthinking the thought "how to be funny".

Before I had that "stuck" thought, it felt like I was acting subconsciously around people but now I am over conscious of what I say and I get really anxious all the time around people. No matter what I do, I can't stop thinking about it. It's like that thought has entered my subconscious. To make matters worse, I can't really read my emotions anymore either. I can't rely on my emotions to get me through conversations.

I know it sounds absolutely ridiculous. It's not logical. I believe I've always had social anxiety, but it used to be about my appearance because I was bullied by other kids for being "ugly". I couldn't stand the feeling of people looking and judging me but I was fine speaking to people once I got to know them. I actually used to use humour to not get beaten up and now it's like anxiety and depression has robbed me of the only thing I liked about myself.
Proteon
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:13 am

Return to Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post