Our partner

I am CONSUMED with shame (Trigger Warning)

Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Snaga

I am CONSUMED with shame (Trigger Warning)

Postby acm » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:10 pm

I have obsessions regarding children. What if I hurt a child? Could I do it? Am I capable of that? No, I don't want to do it. But why am I thinking about it?

For the past 30 years, I get freaked out every time I see a diaper change. It just disturbs me. I think about how easily anyone can hurt that child. It's possible I was exposed to something as a child that I shouldn't have seen or been a part of. Maybe that's why I get disturbed? I don't know. If it did happen it was when I was very young. Because I don't have any memory of sexual abuse.

Please note: I have NEVER been aroused by a child. I know what I like sexually (men). I know how arousal feels, and I've NEVER had that with kids.

Here is the thing I am ashamed of. Sometimes I get the thoughts and I worry so much about them and I want to solve this problem. About once a week I have gone online to youtube. There are a couple videos that show women changing diapers. During this time, the genitals are exposed. I will stare at these youtube videos for a few minutes. I try to show myself that I'm not aroused and it's not a big deal. It's true...I am NOT aroused. I feel as though I can "solve" this problem if I look at a naked baby for a few minutes and I see I am not aroused, then I won't have to worry about it again.

SPOILER ALERT: It doesn't work! I am so deeply ashamed of this. I feel like a horrible person. This is definitely the most shame and guilt I've felt about anything in my life.

I have NEVER abused a child and I don't want to. That is what's important. I remind myself of this everyday. I do not enjoy these thoughts. They give me no pleasure.

What do you think? I know I shouldn't look at those things. Am I a terrible person? I feel like complete scum! Why am I thinking about these things. ###$ you, OCD!
acm
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Local time: Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:52 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: I am CONSUMED with shame (Trigger Warning)

Postby acm » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:26 am

Please, can someone give me feedback?
acm
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Postby Snaga » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:13 pm

Stop checking. Checking is pointless and might cause the very 'sign' you're wanting to not find.

And I think you said something very insightful:

acm wrote: think about how easily anyone can hurt that child.

I think we often confuse the ease, or ability, to do something that fills us with dread, to doing the thing itself. I found myself doing that with my intrusive harm thoughts. It would be EASY... to point a gun and pull the trigger and kill. It doesn't follow that I want to, am going to, can't keep myself from doing it.

So I try not to let myself think how easy something would be.

Tell someone you love them today, because Life is short. But scream it at them in Klingon, because Life is also terrifying and confusing.

ISFP

We do not delete posts.
Let it go.
Without (forum) rules, we all might as well be up in a tree flinging our crap at each other.
Snaga
Site Admin

Local time: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:52 pm

Postby acm » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:29 pm

Thank you. I've sort of talked about it in therapy. But not all of it. I'm going to do that on my next appointment.
acm
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Return to Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post