Our partner

Alternative to a Psychologist?

Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Snaga

Alternative to a Psychologist?

Postby thardytones » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:03 pm

Hi
I'm struggling with OCD and rather severe anxiety, and have been for 4 or so months, and have recognised this for 2 or so months. I am 16 right now, and
I realise that the best thing to do would be to see a psychologist about this, but I think this would be too hard:
1. My father has early-onset Alzheimer's, and my family is struggling enough already; I would not want to put any extra strain on my family
2. I have no idea how I'd go about finding a psychologist (I live in the UK) and wouldn't really want to explain my problems to anyone - this seems like too big a step to take
3. I feel like seeing a psychologist may be undermining the key reasons for my anxiety (I am constantly scared that I am a paedophile/necrophiliac/occasionally terrorist/murderer/pervert/...)
4. My major exams have been preventing me from doing anything (they end in about a week), as I haven't wanted to be put in an institution, in the fear that my whole life would be ruined by it

Are there any smaller steps I could take before finding a psychologist (eg online; I have been using this forum to help me to an extent)? Can someone please give some advice?
Thanks
thardytones
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:52 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Alternative to a Psychologist?

Postby Snaga » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:08 pm

If you see someone who has knowledge about OCD, I really don't see you being locked away! Most of what you listed is pretty run-of-the-mill fears for OCD sufferers.

I've heard of online therapy, but that does cost money and I don't know if there's any that would be covered by the NHS. I think your best bet is going to be to bite the bullet and put in to see someone, and stress that you need someone with OCD experience.

I understand your anxieties- do as I say, not as I do. I have my own excuses not to go get help, although as time goes by, I think it's harder and harder for me to keep from doing so.

Tell someone you love them today, because Life is short. But scream it at them in Klingon, because Life is also terrifying and confusing.

ISFP

We do not delete posts.
Let it go.
Without (forum) rules, we all might as well be up in a tree flinging our crap at each other.
Snaga
Site Admin

Local time: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:52 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post