Our partner

Ocd intruding again in my life

Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: Snaga, catnaps

Ocd intruding again in my life

Postby tia123 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:01 am

Hi im new to this forum. I have lived with ocd since my mid twenties Im now 48, didnt get diagnosed for years. I am on medication 250mg of Clomipramine (Placil) which has really helped me. But I having an episode after about 5 years with nothing major, slight obsessions but have been able to concur the thoughts. I dont know what to do scared im goin to get in the same position i did many years ago in my 30s. I have every ctype of ocd throughout the years. Its very distressing and I wish it would just didappear
tia123
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Mon Jul 15, 2024 9:13 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Ocd intruding again in my life

Postby atina » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:05 pm

Dear tia123:

Healing/ managing anxiety takes an enormous amount of patience. Medication doesn't heal us; sometimes, for various lengths of time, we feel better when taking it, that is all.

Wishing OCD would just disappear, oh I wish that too- I wish all my anxiety would just disappear, all those neuropathways that have caused me distress in my five decades of living and suffering from anxiety and its consequences/ symptomology: OCD, Tourette Syndrome and later life diagnosed.

There are ways to heal, ways you already took on which worked. Have to persist, repeat, one small step at a time, with great gentleness and kindness to yourself and an enormous, never ending patience with the process.

atina
atina
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Jul 15, 2024 2:43 am

Postby tia123 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:44 pm

Thank u for your reply. Im not having a good day didnt sleep very well. Just obsessing about something that has happened at work. I can sometimes assure myself that its just ocd and im fine for a few moments. Then bang its back again. I have wasted over 35 years with this condition. I dont knowwhat to do. I live on my own. The only person i can talk to about my ocd is my ex who lives overseas. Im so scared
tia123
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby atina » Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:46 am

Dear tia123:

When I am most anxious, a very hot bath does wonders for me. Soft music while in the bath...

Daily exercise, a fast walk, half an hour every day after work can greatly help. Yoga stretches after each walk, a routine of this kind can make a difference. Exercise is like taking an elevator down from the obsessing, overthinking brain, to the body.b Before I started to exercise I saw myself like a giant floating head, full of thoughts. When I started yoga, I got to know my body, oh, here is this muscle I didn't know I had... and that muscle. And as you hold a pose or stretch, you don't think, you just feel this or that part of the body.

Basically feeling the body, sensing the heat of bath water, listening to music, engaging the five senses is what the practice of Mindfulness is about. These are very helpful for anxiety. Exercising and engaging the senses is taking a much needed BREAK from the overthinking brain.

atina
atina
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby tia123 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:01 am

Thank u for replying it means a lot. Dont feel so much alone. I know I have to get off my butt and get a grip. Ive hit the destroy button once again. This is a terrible condition to have and im tired of fighting it. May ring a helpline number to see what they say.
tia123
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby atina » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:52 pm

Dear tia123:

You are welcome. You wrote: " I know I have to get off my butt and get a grip "-

This is what I learned, and it is a very important learning, so I'd like to share it with you: talk nicely to yourself. Saying to yourself: "Get off your butt and get a grip!" is an unkind thing to say. Whatever you will not say to a young child, don't say to yourself. Be gentle and kind to yourself. Be endlessly patient with yourself. Talk to yourself as if you are a scared, discouraged young child. Don't beat her up, pressure her, bully her.

This change of attitude toward yourself will help a whole lot, over time, with your anxiety/ OCD.

Post again, anytime.

atina
atina
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby tia123 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:03 am

I didnt have a very good weekend. I made myself go to work rather than lying here overthinking. It feels as though that thick fog has been lifted.Im enjoying the release from all the obsessing. No doubt it will be c triggered off again at some point. Im seeling my doctor on wez to get some CBT treatment. I have been fighting this for far to long, wasted so many years. Just hope i dont relapse
tia123
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby tia123 » Mon Jul 08, 2024 7:08 am

Hi I haven't been on forum for a few years but learnt to sort of live as best I can with ocd, with medication, still very hard though. I had a trigger last year and ended up on a psychotic medication which helped me. I tried CBT but that didnt help. Im my own worst enermy. Stress and anxious about everything. However in the last few weeks I have had a major health scare which I totally blew out of proportion.I have to have further investigations. I got some relief and felt normalish for one night
and the next day bang a :trigger" relating to an incident that happened over 40 years ago. This has been discussed on this forum before and I was reassured that I had done nothing wrong and was just helping.
Feel like im disassociated from the environment around me, right now. I live on my own and find it hard to tell anyone as they don't understand the severity of my condition. Ive told one other person but they have their own issues. I keep it quiet. Hope I can get some help and guidance.
Many thanks
tia123
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby tia123 » Mon Jul 08, 2024 10:29 pm

Hiya can anyone reply feeling very anxious at the moment. Feel my head is going to explode. Don't know what to do.
tia123
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby Snaga » Tue Jul 09, 2024 1:36 am

tia123 wrote:Hiya can anyone reply feeling very anxious at the moment. Feel my head is going to explode. Don't know what to do.

When it comes to anxiety spikes, I find that doing nothing seems to help. Spikes pass...
We do not delete posts.
Please do read the Forum Rules
Snaga
Site Admin

Local time: Mon Jul 15, 2024 4:43 am

Return to Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post