Our partner

Rules for Self, Not Others?

Obsessive-Compulsive Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Rules for Self, Not Others?

Postby breezewriter » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:22 pm

Hi there,

A while back I had a psychologist who thought I had OCPD but I was never actually diagnosed. I'm not really the type to bring it up, so the topic has never arose in subsequent visits with other professionals. But I'm still curious about it.

I'm actually a little better now, but at the time I was very extreme about perfectionism and rules. These were both typical social rules and "rules" that I made up. But the thing is that I was extreme about this toward myself, and never others. After looking at many sites, the symptoms of this disorder collectively suggest someone who is difficult to get along with. Some use words like "miserly," "domineering," etc. That's not me. It was explicitly in my rules to NOT be that person.

I'm not asked to be diagnosed here, but I'm curious. I fit many of the symptoms really closely, but the rigidity and stuff is highly focused on how I behave, not how I expect others to. I would NEVER expect anyone to follow any of my "rules." In fact, I'm very open and pass no judgement on someone who does. Does anyone have any thoughts or a relatable experience?

Thanks,
Breezewriter
Invictus.
breezewriter
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Local time: Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:59 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Rules for Self, Not Others?

Postby RottenFish » Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:37 pm

I would never take one therapist's opinion as fact. You can see three different therapists, and they can all have three different opinions about you.

That said, I have very strict rules for myself, but not for others. There is nothing "wrong" with me. I just like to stay safe at all times. As a result, I have never gotten arrested or been in awkward situations that I've regretted. My rules keep me safe, happy, and motivated.
RottenFish
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Local time: Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:59 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Obsessive-Compulsive Personality Disorder