Our partner

Not sure what to do

Nightmare Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Not sure what to do

Postby Samantha2011 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:57 am

I have recently been experiencing some severe nightmares about my fiancé dying and me murdering him. I’m not sure what has been causing it but it leaves me very distressed. I don’t know what to do about it. Is there something wrong with me?
Samantha2011
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:25 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Not sure what to do

Postby breezewriter » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:00 pm

Hi Smantha2011,

I have nightmares or general bad dreams every single night. On occasion I have had similar dreams about my own fiancé. I do not think that there is anything wrong with you. If you look up dream definitions on Google, you'll probably come across a million explanations for your dreams. They'll be things like, "the killing is symbolic of a major change in your life, leaving the old you behind." Often, they are culturally or spiritually related. For example, Chinese tradition may say a specific dream means good luck will come, while the Hindu faith might think it means something completely different. Perhaps you have already done this and seen similar explanations.

I'm generally not one to believe in these things, especially because they usually make absolutely no logical sense to me. But I also cannot say that they don't have any merit. There has been a couple times where the explanations that I found made some sense. I do believe that many dreams are your subconscious working things out in a metaphorical way.

I would suggest considering your level of consciousness about the events happening in your life and the impact they have on your psyche. I do not believe that dreams about murdering your fiancé mean that you actually want to kill him, unless deep down somewhere you do have that urge. My guess is that it has to do with your subconscious (or not so subconscious) apprehension about getting married. This doesn't mean you don't want to get married, just that it's a big change in your life that you are trying to sort out in your head while you sleep. Good stress (or happy anxiousness) is still stress, and your mind needs to process it somehow if you aren't openly confronting it in waking life.

Maybe just talking with your fiancé about your excitement/anxiousness and everything that goes with it might be helpful. And if it's not about the wedding, maybe there is something else you need to talk about. Just try it.

Hope this helps. :)
-Breeze
Invictus.
breezewriter
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Local time: Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:25 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Nightmare Disorder Forum