Our partner

Disturbing hallucinations... should I be concerned?

Nightmare Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Disturbing hallucinations... should I be concerned?

Postby Needsomesleep » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:37 pm

Hey all, new to the forum but some recent issues have prompted me to seek counsel. This is a bit verbose but please bear with me and any advice/help would be greatly appreciated.
I am a 22 year old male, recently a drug user (marijuana/occasional psychedelics) and a relatively heavy drinker. I have recently experienced a few major life changes including a new job, moving to a new city, and a very serious codependent relationship coming to an end. Since then, I have experienced a few minor, but not concerning, nightmares. Recently, the imagery and timing of the 'nightmares' has concerned me as they present themselves more like hallucinations.
Within minutes of closing my eyes, I experienced very disturbing, vivid, hallucination-like scenarios involving unpleasant imagery such as: Believing glass is being thrown at me, believing I am seriously injured in my own house, believing I am being publicly ridiculed, and experiencing strong and unpleasant gustatory (taste) hallucinations. These all occurred in the same night, and again, immediately after closing my eyes. During and shortly after the experiences, I could not discern them from reality, and felt dissociated and confused. I was unable to sleep, and am afraid to try and fall asleep again.
Is this a sign that I should seek help?
Any input is appreciated. Thanks.
Needsomesleep
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:43 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Disturbing hallucinations... should I be concerned?

Postby flutterflier » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:36 am

Do you feel like you can't move or are paralyized when this happens?
I encourage you to look up sleep paralysis - or even night terrors - and see if it sounds like what you're going through.

The stress of the recent changes in your life puts your body through a lot more than you realize. I wouldn't say you need counseling for the nightmares themselves, but rather I think you should consider it to help you out with the stress - eventually the nightmares should fade too!
It's not worth it.
flutterflier
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:43 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Nightmare Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post