Our partner

was this sleep paralysis or just a night terror?

Nightmare Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

was this sleep paralysis or just a night terror?

Postby amarie17 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:49 am

nightmares are EXTREMELY normal for me but what i had experienced was way more intense than any nightmare i have ever had in my 32 years of life. i dreamed that i came back from the bathroom and my bedroom did not look like my bedroom anymore and it looked like it had been completely trashed. i had layed back down in my bed then i saw the scariest leprechaun i had ever seen in my entire life. it was very fast and just kept darting back and forth around my room. there was nothing funny about it at all, i was actually scared for my life. like the feeling of impending doom, he had felt like an evil presense. then as i was laying on my back in bed i had seen his hands creep up from the foot of my bed and it had started pulling the covers off of me. at this point i had tried calling out to my bf who was sleeping next to me but i could not make a sound. i was moving my mouth but no sound was coming out and i could not move my body to try and shake him awake. it felt like the leprechaun was out to get me, like i was actually about to die. shortly after that my bf was still sleeping but thankfully he had woken me up by wrapping his body around me and kissing me, like he could sense that i was distressed even though he was asleep the whole time. when i woke up i was drenched in sweat and was crying. thinking back it is actually hard for me to tell if i was asleep or awake when i was trying to call out to him, im sure i was asleep the whole time but it had felt so real. i really hope i explained this well enough, its hard for me to actually put it into words. i had never felt this way from a nightmare before. im not sure if it helps but this happened around 5 am and i have had trouble with anxieties and have had sleep issues for most of my life. i am not looking forward to going to sleep tonight, this was a horrible experience and i have felt off all day :cry:
amarie17
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:36 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: was this sleep paralysis or just a night terror?

Postby delonix » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:16 pm

It sounds to me like hypnopompic hallucination. This article gives some examples: http://www.end-your-sleep-deprivation.c ... tions.html

Hope that was your last experience.
delonix
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:06 pm

Re: was this sleep paralysis or just a night terror?

Postby flutterflier » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:50 pm

As someone who is very used to sleep paralysis, I can almost guarantee you that's what it was. Especially when you mention trying to scream but not being able to make a sound. That is exactly what can happen during sleep paralysis - because your body is paralyzed, and you are "conscious" but are hallucinating and unable to move. It feels extremely real while it's going on.
It's not worth it.
flutterflier
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:36 am

Return to Nightmare Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post