Our partner

Nightmares without fail if I don't hug a teddy

Nightmare Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Nightmares without fail if I don't hug a teddy

Postby Elochai » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:08 am

So i'm a male 21 BPD & mixed depressive and anxiety disorder.

Every night as I go to sleep I have to remember to cuddle a teddy, or I'm guaranteed to have a horrendous nightmare without fail. I've had this since around age 11. I thought it was something that would pass in time, but I still haven't grown out of it. My psychoanalyst says it's to do with my fear of growing up and becoming an adult. Which it probably is.. But, I would still like to sleep without a teddy, I'm 21 for christ's sake

Anywho, I just wanted to know if any others have a similar issue? or something they need to do before sleep in order to have a good nights sleep.
Elochai
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:04 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Nightmares without fail if I don't hug a teddy

Postby Oliveira » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:52 pm

:)

I am 39, had the same teddy for over 20 years (I actually can't remember how long) and can't sleep without him. He travels the world with me.

I read an article about 50-60+ years old businessmen who have their teddies on business travels, then call the hotel and say "uh have you found an old teddy bear... it was... a present for my daughter, yeah that's what it was... it probably accidentally fell in bed..." :) Seriously, this is neither a disorder nor rare.
Currently working on my upcoming signature.
Oliveira
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Elochai » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:57 pm

Oliveira wrote::)

I am 39, had the same teddy for over 20 years (I actually can't remember how long) and can't sleep without him. He travels the world with me.

I read an article about 50-60+ years old businessmen who have their teddies on business travels, then call the hotel and say "uh have you found an old teddy bear... it was... a present for my daughter, yeah that's what it was... it probably accidentally fell in bed..." :) Seriously, this is neither a disorder nor rare.

Awww. Well, that's made me more happy and less embarrassed! Oh The power of teddies.

Thanks!
Elochai
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby Oliveira » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:57 am

Since this is hardly identifying information (unless you are my husband or mom) I might post a pic of my little bear, he has jeans overalls my best friend made for him 10+ years ago. He will fall apart at some point, but for now he's still loveable.

I think there are some psychological theories about it but tbh I don't care. I love my teddy bear and he makes me happy. There aren't so many such simple things in my life. He's staying. And my husband thinks he's delightful too.
Currently working on my upcoming signature.
Oliveira
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Tyler » Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:05 pm

I have something similar with one of my stuffed animals, he's also a teddy bear. His name is Rutherford. I kiss him on the forehead and tell him to stay strong. He protects me, and I protect him. If I don't kiss him and tell him to stay strong, I have horrible nightmares.
Email me if you want a doughnut

Diagnosed: Schizoaffective Disorder Bi-polar type Rapid Cycling.

Medication: Geodone 160 MG

"In a way, you've already won in this world, because you're the only one that can be you."
- Mr. Rodgers.

Forum Rules
Tyler
Moderator: Consumer
Moderator: Consumer

Local time: Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:04 am
Blog: View Blog (2)

Return to Nightmare Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post