Our partner

Elaborate stories dreams, I'm not a character in them

Nightmare Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Elaborate stories dreams, I'm not a character in them

Postby jemmus » Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:02 pm

Hi all,
First off, I should say that I'm an alcoholic, and I'm almost always intoxicated at some level while asleep and dreaming.

For the past few years I've been having very long, elaborate dreams with very detailed plots. They're almost like movies, with complete stories. Often, they're science fiction-like. Not involving spaceships, but imaginary things that don't exist. (For example, I had a bad dream of a miniature woman who had been in an accident, and the lower part of her body was a plastic wheeled vehicle, like a toy). The dreams will have fully-visualized "sets," in animation-like colors. Often the designs are aesthetically beautiful, as if a finalized work by a good artist. Not the usual vague images of an ordinary dream.

And many times, I'm not a character in the dream. Or if I am there, I'm more of an observer than an actor.

I wonder how my mind is constructing these elaborate stories and images. They don't seem related to anything at all that I experienced during the day. I don't watch a lot of movies or read a lot of fiction stories, so the stories and images aren't coming from that.

Thank you for any insights.
jemmus
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:50 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Elaborate stories dreams, I'm not a character in them

Postby Nessa7 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:34 pm

I don't know how helpful this will be, but I dream like that a lot when I am not having nightmares. I am really into movies, but the dreams almost never resemble something that I had watched recently. Do any of your dreams have something resembling any movies that you have seen? I sometimes recognize imagery from movies that I saw years ago and only include things from recent movies if they connect to something in my real life or nightmares. For example, I had a dream including a few seconds from Shutter Island the same night that I saw it, but it was part of a pretty ordinary nightmare about my father.
Nessa7
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Re: Elaborate stories dreams, I'm not a character in them

Postby jemmus » Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:52 pm

That's in really interesting about movies you watched years ago appearing in your dreams now. In my case, the stories aren't from movies or TV, because I almost never watch those anymore. I do read news magazines and fiction and nonfiction books. Perhaps the dreams are processing something I read, but long ago, similar to your movie dreams.

But the dreams seem more like "inventions." An elaborate situation will appear. For example a city, and a building within the city, and a company inside the building and its physical offices, and some complicated program the company is currently doing. People/characters I've never known are interacting within the rules or parameters of the program the company is doing. As the people interact, a story/plot emerges. For example, they are waiting for a certain person to arrive, and there is tension because a romance may or may not be starting between two characters, and the characters start doing interim/alternative things to resolve the problem of the person they're waiting for not appearing yet, etc. It seems that my dreaming mind is for some reason wanting to create elaborate fictitious plots, and to hang onto them and to continue developing them.

Thank you for your response by the way, and have a good day!
jemmus
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Return to Nightmare Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post