Our partner

Should I Get Help if I Occasionally Experience Cataplexy?

Narcolepsy message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Should I Get Help if I Occasionally Experience Cataplexy?

Postby caughtinmyhead » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:39 am

I think I have been experiencing Cataplexy, I haven't been diagnosed, but I had been wondering for a while what I was experiencing and after watching a documentary on Narcolepsy I discovered it might be Cataplexy. I don't have Narcolepsy, I have experienced symptoms, but nothing that's truly interfered with my life. As for Cataplexy, well, every time I experienced it my brother was getting in my face in either a very threatening way or was making me laugh really hard. I uncontrollably dropped to the ground, had trouble lifting my wrists, felt very weak and it was like my body just went limp, and my speech was very slurred. My brother would ask what the hell was wrong with me, but soon enough I'd stand back up and pull myself back together. This has only happened around my brother, so it happens from time to time, but usually I'm fine. This doesn't happen all the time, just when my brother get's in my face about things. I opened up to a friend about this because she has a brother who is narcoleptic, and she told me that he started experiencing small symptoms as a teenager and got it worse and worse over time, until he needed treatment. I am a sixteen year old girl, so now I'm worried I'm going to develop narcolepsy.
Any input? Since this doesn't really affect my life should I even bring it up to anyone? Is it at all possible that I could be developing anything?
caughtinmyhead
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:52 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Should I Get Help if I Occasionally Experience Cataplexy

Postby Ada » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:57 pm

I think it would be useful to talk to someone about it, so that you establish a baseline for what's "normal" for you. And then it's easier to monitor if it changes in frequency or duration. It would also help you rule out any other causes such as seizures.

According to Wikipedia, cataplexy symptoms tend to decrease with age, it says "A review of 100 patients at the Stanford Sleep Disorders Clinic (age range 12-20 years) reported that 62 of these patients stopped taking anti-cataplectic medications after 10 years." That's not in any way a diagnosis or prognosis for you, but hopefully some reassurance that it doesn't always end up in a "worst case scenario".
We think too much and feel too little.
 More than machinery, we need humanity.
 More than cleverness, we need kindness and gentleness.

Charlie Chaplain in The Great Dictator
Ada
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:52 am
Blog: View Blog (35)

Return to Narcolepsy