Our partner

how to go about my concerns?

Narcolepsy message board, open discussion, and online support group.

how to go about my concerns?

Postby thunderseed » Tue May 01, 2012 7:56 pm

Hey!

I think I may have a sleep disorder, am not wanting to diagnose myself but Narcolepsy is the only one that somewhat fits, I am wondering what I have to do in order to get tested for sleep disorders.

Problem is, I know if I brought it to my doctor he would shun the idea and think I was a hypochondriac. They diagnosed me with many mental illnesses back in the day, but going off of my meds I am realizing I am not insane. I think they got the diagnoses wrong. But I am worried they are just going to want to put me back on the Seroquel, think im just nuts and whatever.

It is more difficult seeing as I have been on a sleeping pill (seroquel) for about 12 years of my life. I have been off of it completely for only 2 weeks now so some of the problems I am experiencing could be due to withdrawals. Do I have a right to request tests as soon as possible so that if I do have a sleep disorder it doesn't interfere with my life, or will doctors just want me to wait to see if it passes?

But what concerns me mostly is that according to my doctor it is completely abnormal that I am sleeping more often now that I have been going off of these meds. I am always tired. Usually people develop hardcore insomnia weaning off of the medication I was on. But not for me, it is the exact opposite.
And the fatigue is not getting any better in time. If I do not force myself awake, I can stay asleep for days at a time. And I am always feeling like I need more sleep.

I had obvious problems with sleep in the past before i took that medication and the sleeping pill only served to hide these problems. I would go through stages of intense insomnia, and then stages of sleeping for days at a time, but mostly it was sleeping during the day, and always being exhausted. They blamed it on depression and mental illness. Of course they would!

Another thing I have been noticing is a weird physical fatigue and muscle weakness. I have had this since my teenage years, and it seems to happen randomly. They always blamed it on me having anorexia back in the day, but the issue is I have been recovered from it for quite some time.
The only symptom I don't have of narcolepsy is random all over body slumps, but I do have muscle weakness and it feels utterly disgusting. Sometimes I thought it might be hypoglycemia, but I do not have diabetes, or at least last time I was tested for it. The only thing that tends to help it is rest. But then I also sometimes get these weird attacks where i feel so tired and weak that my radial pulses disappear, my heart rate speeds up so fast and becomes so weak you can no longer feel it, and then I just faint or pass out, and that's been happening for the longest time too.

Also since going off of my meds rapid eye movement has been bothering me immensely. I ended up having to go to the emergency room one night because my eyes began hurting because of the strain.
I have ALWAYS since I was born experienced rapid eye movement. And I'm not talking about REM just when I am about to fall asleep. It always happens, constantly, whenever I am awake, but when I am awake it doesn't bother me at all because I can easily ignore it. You can see it happening every time I close my eyes, and then sometimes it looks creepy when I open my eyes because my eyes are dancing around everywhere or rolled back into my head. Professionals never looked into that before.

I just went to a walk in clinic and the doctor said he had no clue.

My guess is being on Seroquel the REM was never a problem for 12 years because it made me pass out.
But now it is just annoying. I can't sleep some nights because of it.

I also have unusual stages of sleep compared to most people. It's not a problem for me, I actually enjoy it. I can fall into a deep stage of sleep right away, I can lucid dream, astral travel a lot easier. I dream all through the night. I can also access my dreams while I am awake, and achieve a dream state while awake.

But what does bother me is this terrible exhaustion I get during the days. And it's not like I'm not getting enough sleep! I am sleeping too much! I want to be able to get into my physical activity and sports again, but I've just been so tired, and then when my mind isn't tired, my muscles end up feeling like they are falling asleep on me and like they have turned to mush. It's gross!

I'm not sure if its to do with the meds or not, but I am definitely worried this might be a natural thing for my body and that the meds were actually helping it in a way, and I don't really want to wait any longer to see if it passes. How do you think I should go about this if I schedule an appointment with my doctor? I don't think he's going to believe me or appreciate if I just up and tell him "test me for a sleep disorder".
thunderseed
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:15 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Return to Narcolepsy