Our partner

help! modafinil doesnt seem to be working

Narcolepsy message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Re: help! modafinil doesnt seem to be working

Postby jasmin » Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:01 pm

Oh that sucks! I wish you could see him sooner. Hey, you made it this far, two weeks aren't impossible to handle!
forum-rules.php
I am sorry I am not on the forum as much as I used to be, if I do not reply to you quickly, please contact another moderator/supermod/admin as well.
jasmin
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:22 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby sleepymonkey » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:16 am

I'm sorry you have to wait, that's awful.

After three weeks, the zopiclone is having a different effect on me, never had the hangover effect, but now I'm still sleepy when I wake up in the morning, and I feel as though I need a stronger morning dose of modafinil. I could experiment with what I have, but I think what the doc wanted was for me to stabilize with the modafinil and then basically give myself what I call "sleep shock therapy" (he calls it sleep glue) with the zop.

I work for myself, but I'm extremely busy at this time of year, and I wish I had it all together with the meds instead of still experimenting. I don't see my doc until mid-Feb, wondering how it will progress.

I am really sorry you're struggling at work, please be careful with that welding torch :o
sleepymonkey
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:22 pm

Postby lexxiegrey » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:13 pm

oh i know... i hate it during the time of "trying to find the right meds or combination of meds". so i saw my psychiatrist on friday and he had spoken with my sleep doctor. they are now slowly taking me off of modafinil. which is good and bad. good because i never felt one bit of change while on that med... but bad because it will take 3 weeks to be off the pill and then my psychiatrist wants me to have a week off completely before trying something new. so that means i have to suffer through 4 more weeks of this crap. this is driving me crazy.. its starting to keep me up at night, ( getting even less sleep will NOT help) because now im so worried about having episodes or having to fight them off for at least 5 hours after i get up, that im not sleeping. its such a horrible thing to deal with. does it ever happen to anyone else when your trying so hard to fight them off and to keep your eyes open that your eyes and everything that you see starts shaking??? its horrible. and its so hard to stand and try to weld because im so weak. this morning i got sent home from work because my supervisor came to talk to me in the middle of me fighting one off.. he said "you really dont look good, you should go home". im so scared of losing my job. im not passed my probation yet. arrrrgh!

so now the new pill that they are going to try me on is Dextroamphetamine sulfate (dexedrine) anyone ever been on that??????? i just want it to work.. im only 30.. i dont want to go through this the rest of my life..... :cry:
lexxiegrey
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:22 pm

Postby sleepymonkey » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:45 pm

My mom used to be on dexedrine (she also tried ritalin) - I think the dexedrine worked better for her. Try not to be too upset about the lack of effectiveness of the modafinil - I have read and been told that it is a gentler stimulant (I agree), but it doesn't have the power of amphetamines. Finding the right med is really trial and error because everyone is different. It's good to be completely off the meds so that you can see the effects of the new med.

Does your employer know about your issue? (sorry I couldn't read back, limited time today) A doctor's note saying that you are undergoing medication trials might be helpful. It would be very nasty of your employer to fire you during this period since the disorder not your fault and you are doing something about it. But is there some kind of work you could do that is less dangerous? Sorting, paperwork, answering phones? Here in Canada, I believe the employer is required to offer you some modified work if you are unable to do your job temporarily. Is there a human resources department in your company?

Let us know how it turns out.
sleepymonkey
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:22 pm

Postby lexxiegrey » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:17 am

so i finally got to see my psychiatrist... ive been having problems with him lately, hes been a real ass to me lately so im in the process of finding a new one. so ive now gone to my doctor and she said that she will find me another psychiatrist and that for the time being she will take over my meds. ive been very frustrated because as of yesterday my situation was this..... my regular doctor is hesitant to put me on dexedrine until she gets the o.k from my psychiatrist. my psychiatrist is hesitant to put me on it until he gets the o.k from the sleep doctor. and the sleep doctor doesnt want to put me on dexedrine until she gets the o.k from my psychiatrist... frustrating or what??!!

all i want is for my life to be back the way it was before my episodes started. im not working now because i was almost injured because i fell asleep while standing up and holding a grinder. yeah not good. and me not working is causing problems in my relationship with my girlfriend. i want to be back working so badly. so today i went to see my doctor and told her about the circle of 3 dr.s problem and about how frustrated i am. and im happy to say that she has decided to put me on dexedrine. yay!!!!! I HOPE IT WORKS! im starting on 10mg. also... my doctor wrote the sleep doctor a letter of what is going on and now i have an appt with the sleep doctor on wednesday.
lexxiegrey
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:22 pm

Postby jasmin » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:12 pm

Ohhh, it's great that she put you on a med! Good luck with the appointment and thanks for the update. It sounds like someone finally did something to help you.
forum-rules.php
I am sorry I am not on the forum as much as I used to be, if I do not reply to you quickly, please contact another moderator/supermod/admin as well.
jasmin
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:22 pm

Postby maree12 » Sat May 20, 2017 5:55 am

I have had fatigue problems since I suffered a stroke 20 years ago. I tried modifinil, and, oh it was so wonderful to not be tired all day, I was almost back to the same alertness I had before the stroke. BUT, and this was a very big but for me, it caused weight gain, In 10 days of taking one tablet a day, and even whilst attending a square dance convention, so a lot more physically active than normal, I gained 7 lb, so I was not happy and have not taken it since. It has been the only thing that worked, except for guarana which, 12 hours after taking it, gave me such a crash, like as if I had borrowed back from a future need of energy, to use after I had taken the product.
maree12
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Local time: Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:22 am

Previous

Return to Narcolepsy

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post