Our partner

i watch my mind wandering during falling asleep

Narcolepsy message board, open discussion, and online support group.

i watch my mind wandering during falling asleep

Postby violet21 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:47 pm

i bolded the most relevant details. maybe my message is too long and difficult to read. and sorry for my bad english

Q:Immediately after falling asleep from time to time i am able to watch my mind wandering.. could i have narcolepsy?

it's like i'm in a state between awake and asleep, and i can see my mind wandering, racing, rapidly thinking at weird random things without any logic between each other. i've read that people with narcolepsy, immediately dream after falling asleep. i also feel very tired during the day (but i never fall asleep uncontrollably, i'm just sleepy, and find it hard too keep my head on the shoulders)

i'm asking myself if this thing that's happening to me (watching my mind wandering) could be a symptom of narcolepsy or maybe i'm just very tired and it's a normal thing to happen, from time to time. have you ever experienced this?

i've observed this happening to me many times, but not every time i fall asleep (but i don't know if it happens to me only sometimes or i'm just not aware of it happening to me every time)

i've also experienced sleep paralysis only 10 times in the past 5 years. but my sleeping schedules are very irregular, i can't sleep in the night like normal people because of hypersomnia (i need sometimes 15 hours of sleep, but i counted this as a result for depression, stress, anxiety or any other common condition). and after 15 hours of sleep, i can't fall asleep in the following night... so my sleep schedule is messed up. other times i can't fall asleep because i feel anxious, and i manage to fall asleep only if i'm very very tired.

that's why i'm asking myself maybe the reason i enter from time to time REM sleep immediately after falling asleep is just because i'm very tired??? or is it narcolepsy?
violet21
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:23 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: i watch my mind wandering during falling asleep

Postby Chucky » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:32 pm

violet,

Im' not sure that this is narcolepsy, but I am not an expert you must realise. You seem to have hinted that stress/anxiety/etc could be at play here, or were you just referring to the past when you mentioned those things? If you are a generally stressed pesron, then this would disrupt your sleep, and could make it quite difficult for you to reach REM. Therefore, you'd be caught between being awake and being in REM for longer than normal people. You don't eat anything before bed, do you?; or you don't take any coffee?

Kevin
psychforums.com rules:
http://www.psychforums.com/forum-rules.php

Please send me a private message if you need help with anything.
Chucky
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:23 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Narcolepsy