Our partner

Do you think that this sounds like sleeping disorder?

Narcolepsy message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Do you think that this sounds like sleeping disorder?

Postby ninjaturtle » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:31 pm

I set 4 alarm clocks every morning, around 5-15 minutes apart, and scatter them all over my room. I put some in drawers to wake me up. Still, I sometimes have absolutely no memory of having turned them off.

Sometimes I don't sleep enough but I do often get 7-9 hours of sleep. I am 17-years-old so I don't always get the recommended amount but I do often. I'm still always extremely tired. I fall asleep often, but not always, after school and my mother always yells at me for it. I sleep for around 3 hours at the absolute most, usually it's only around an hour or two though. I do feel a little better afterward. Even if I don't, I'm able to focus better at night. I almost always show up 10-20 minutes late for the first class of the morning. If I have breaks, I almost always lay down and fall asleep during them, though I haven't had any problems with falling asleep in class, yet. I've been extremely close but I'm just not comfortable falling asleep in public places. I fall asleep very easily in cars (when I'm not driving) and I've fallen asleep sitting up before. Sometimes, after setting and turning off all those clocks, my mother will knock on my door and ask me if I'm up. I'll tell her that I am and that I'm awake, getting ready and tell her to go away. This upsets my mother because it is, of course, rude, but I honestly have absolutely no memory of saying these things. Sometimes I talk to both my parents before I'm even awake.

Right before I fall asleep and sometimes during the middle of the night or in the morning when I'm half awake, I hallucinate. I've never had a visual hallucination, they're always auditory. The other morning, I heard my dad talking in front of my door. My father comes to visit sometimes but he was 5 hours away at the time and there's no way he was home. I am positive this was not a dream, I almost never fall asleep after hearing these things, the sounds are scary sometimes and I just can't fall asleep after hearing them. I heard a man the other night right before I fell asleep, I don't even remember what he said but nobody was home. I've had this since I was younger though. One time, I was in the car and I fell asleep pretty quickly. I was around 10. I had the most vivid and terrifying nightmare and I woke up to a gunshot. The gunshot wasn't a part of the dream, I heard it out loud and I am positive of that. I looked out the window and we were still in the same area, I'd only been asleep for like 5 minutes. I know that the stuff before the gunshot was a dream but it felt so so so extremely real.

I have no problem spending an extended amount of time on a math problem or any schoolwork. My brain just doesn't allow me to. I used to be much more focused and I could spend hours doing math. Now, my brain will get all foggy and the page will go out of focus (not in the Schizophrenic way but in the tired way) and I won't be able to think. I have constant headaches and my eyes get dry and red because I'm tired. I can't listen to people because I'm constantly zoning out. It's a big problem at school but it's also affecting my social life, sometimes I'm incredibly interested in hearing what one of my peers has to say but I simply can't focus enough to listen to what they're talking about.

I used to have conversations in my sleep with people and I sleepwalked when I was younger. I haven't done that recently, to my knowledge, except for having short conversations with my parents in the mornings and at night sometimes. I asked a question somewhere else earlier and someone said that it sounded like sleep apnea but I don't think it is. I have a BMI of 18.5 (very healthy), I don't snore (my family would have no problem mocking me for it if I did), I don't have a large neck and my jaw is at a normal size. Sleep apnea also tends to occur in people over 40, whereas narcolepsy usually develops when a person is in his or her late teens or in young adulthood. I've slept a room with other people often before and they probably would've mentioned if I had severe breathing problems. I know I used to wake up often in the middle of the night but I don't know if I do that anymore. I don't think I do.

I looked up delayed sleep phase syndrome and it does sound a lot like me only I don't always fall asleep at the same time if given the chance. My sleeping patterns, if I don't have school or work for an extended period of time, go like this: I'll start off going to bed at 12am-1am and waking up at like 1pm. Then I start going to sleep later and later, usually around two hours at a time, until I'm going to bed at 9am and sleeping until dinner. Once, I was going to bed around 1PM and waking up around 11AM. I'm still exhausted after waking up, even when I don't sleep for 12-13 hours which I know is too much. I tend to put off sleep.

I'm taking prescription medications for other physical conditions but this has been going on much longer than I've been taking them. Like, years longer. Though it's gotten worse lately, I haven't been taking the medication for very long and it doesn't seem to be having an effect.

Sorry about the length of this message, I just thought that if anyone here is familiar with narcolepsy or other sleeping disorders in general, that it would be better to include as much information as possible so that it would be clearer. Thank you in advance to anyone who might respond, or read this.
ninjaturtle
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:04 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Do you think that this sounds like sleeping disorder?

Postby Chucky » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:27 pm

Hey,

What are the other physical conditions that you speak of?; could they be affecting your sleeping? Anyway, I think that what you're describing does indeed sound like narcolepsy. I ain't a doctor though dude, and my opinion shouldn't be taken as concrete. This has gone on for years according to you though, so you must be able to get on with your life while having this problem, right? Do you think that you can continue getting on with it or are you prepared to make an effort to set things right? If you do wish to set things right, then perhaps asking your parents for assistance would be a good idea. For example, you could ask them to kindly wake you up in the morning at a reasonable hour so that you could make it into school/college on time. I don't know if this is anything you wish to try though.

Kevin
psychforums.com rules:
http://www.psychforums.com/forum-rules.php

Please send me a private message if you need help with anything.
Chucky
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby ninjaturtle » Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:50 pm

Hey Kevin,

My other conditions aren't the problem, I've read up on them a lot since I got diagnosed and they shouldn't affect sleep in any way. It's gotten worse lately, though, and I'm worried that it will worsen as time goes on. My life is not problem free, I sleep around 12 hours per night when I don't have to get up for school or work and take naps during the day after that. I can't pay attention at school because I'm so tired and frequently miss out on homework and essays and I won't study for tests because I'll go to sleep shortly after I get home and I'll wake up an hour before school starts. My mother is very much against conditions and is against all medications (it's a miracle I can use the ones I've got) but perhaps I ought to make an appointment and get it checked out by myself. I've asked my parents to wake me up before but they always say they did when I confront them about it after I've overslept and they always say that they did wake me and that it's my own fault. I don't blame them but it makes me mad when they say it's my fault because I'm not trying to do this.

Thanks a lot for your answer, though. It was helpful.
ninjaturtle
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby Chucky » Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:34 pm

Hey,

Yeh I was just going to say that you should set some tie aside to get this sorted. Make it your next target in life to discover what exactly is wrogn with you, and to then cope/manage/deal with it. You might have to go it alone, as far as your mother is concerned, but maybe she'll eventually come around to it. When I tried to get my family to believe that I have Asperger's Syndrome, I typed-out a list of my symptoms, printed it on paper, and then gave it to them. This method seemed to make it easier for them to believe me.

Kevin
psychforums.com rules:
http://www.psychforums.com/forum-rules.php

Please send me a private message if you need help with anything.
Chucky
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Return to Narcolepsy