Our partner

Is this possible?

Narcolepsy message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Is this possible?

Postby aquagurl119 » Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:14 pm

I got a friend who claims to be "slightly narcoleptic". I don't know much about Narcolepsy, but I didn't know there were levels of the condition. I basically thought you were or weren't. Well I mean I figured some people would have it worse than others, but my friend tells me that his condition is different than normal Narcolepsy.

First of all, I know he does sleep a lot. He will fall asleep in the middle of a conversation, but he doesn't just collapse into a sleep. He will look tired first and gradually fall asleep. He is able to drive and stuff too. He's never fallen asleep at the wheel so I know he has control of his sleep attacks. I thought Narcoleptics had no control.

And I know he's not just making up the narcolepsy thing. He's been to the doctor for it. So I dunno...I'm just wondering if he really does have a mild case of narcolepsy or something else?
Speak onoxiously and walk around with the biggest stick you can find...AND USE IT!
aquagurl119
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

Local time: Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:13 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby Chucky » Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:57 pm

Hi,

There is a guy in my college who claims to be Narcoleptic too. I believe that when your friend uses the word 'slightly', he just means that Narcolepsy doesn't affect him everyday, as it would in other people. Did his doctor actually diagnose Narcolepsy, do you know? I suspect that he didn't, which would be another reason why he is using the word 'slightly'. Perhaps his doctor merely gave him some sleeping tips but never actually diagnosed Narcolepsy - who knows.

Kevin.
psychforums.com rules:
http://www.psychforums.com/forum-rules.php

Please send me a private message if you need help with anything.
Chucky
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby aquagurl119 » Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:00 pm

I just assumed he was diagnosed, but he never actually used that terminology. I dunno. He's just said "I am slightly Narcoleptic". I know he doesn't take anything for it.
Speak onoxiously and walk around with the biggest stick you can find...AND USE IT!
aquagurl119
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

Postby Chucky » Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:50 pm

Hmmm, is he close-enough a friend that you could ask him whether or not he was diagnosed with it? I suspect that he wasn't, but I could be wrong. It could just be that he's not looking after himself too well and isn't allowing himself to get enough sleep. I have noticed that many young people have trouble getting adequate sleep each night (for different reasons: Excessive partying, stress, depression, etc.)

Kevin
psychforums.com rules:
http://www.psychforums.com/forum-rules.php

Please send me a private message if you need help with anything.
Chucky
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby aquagurl119 » Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:56 pm

Well I've known him for quite a long time but I never really became his friend until a few years ago. We just started gettin close in the last few months and that's when he told me about the Narcolepsy thing. I don't see why he'd mind if I asked him. I think I will LOL.

He's really not that stressed of a dude. He's 25, lives at home with his family and helps run their farm. He's usually laid back and stuff. I know he sleeps a lot though. He's had a couple parties I went to and he fell asleep on the floor both times and stayed there for hours...kinda weird, but he's just weird in general. I hate to label people, but I'm sure he has some neurological disorder or problem...even the way he acts socially is a bit strange. Chucky's smart so I'll let ya in...
Not only does he sleep all the time, but when he's awake he'll either be working or studying meteorology. He's not in school, but he studies like he is. He's almost obsessed with it lol. Ya can tell a lot of times that he's tryin to either be funny or scare you. Don't get me wrong, he's a great guy, but the way he goes about stuff is out of the ordinary. For example, ya never know when he's serious. He'll change his story up a thousand times to different people or sometimes even to the same person. He'll be like sarcastic but then again ya can tell he's actually tryin to be serious at the same time. It's hard to explain. Well I'm done explaining my crazy friend for today (btw I never mean the term crazy in a bad way)
aquagurl119
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

Re: Is this possible?

Postby River Jordan » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:49 am

Wow! That really sounds like someone I know. I mean, really a lot. Where does this guy live? Because everything you've described fits the person I know perfectly.
The light will always defeat the dark. The dark cannot shine through the light. If you're strong enough to shine the light, you will defeat the dark.
River Jordan
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Postby anschoo » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:00 pm

all possible
anschoo
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby Sleepy_Cats » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:43 am

I am diagnosed with narcolepsy and that guy's symptoms sound just like me. I might even be a little better than him, lately.
Sleepy_Cats
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:13 am

Return to Narcolepsy