Our partner

Narcissists: Religion?

Narcissistic Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: mark1958, Echinacea, realityhere

Narcissists: Religion?

Postby Julian » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:50 pm

How many of you subscribe to a religion? Comparing the personality aspects of a typical narcissist and a theist, many nearly identical traits are apparent.
Julian
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:36 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Narcissists: Religion?

Postby LifeSong » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:36 am

Julian wrote:How many of you subscribe to a religion? Comparing the personality aspects of a typical narcissist and a theist, many nearly identical traits are apparent.

Really? You think so? I think that it's rather hard to subscribe to a God when you think that you are god.
LifeSong
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:36 pm

Postby Julian » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:01 pm

LifeSong wrote:
Julian wrote:How many of you subscribe to a religion? Comparing the personality aspects of a typical narcissist and a theist, many nearly identical traits are apparent.

Really? You think so? I think that it's rather hard to subscribe to a God when you think that you are god.

Theists will often think they have a "direct line" to God, have "been chosen," or are "destined for greatness." Magical thinking, perhaps?
Narcissistic shame would seem reflected in doctrines like original sin.
Arrogance: Their belief system is superior, nevermind that there's no objective reasoning behind them. If you don't accept what they're saying as true, you are not "chosen," and thus get dismissed.
The greater body of one's religion can form a kind of narc supply, wouldn't you say?
Julian
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:36 pm

Postby Euler » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:53 pm

It doesn't have to be that poloarized at all. I'm one of those cerebral types with a real vicious streak. So, regardless if its politics or religion I act like a Great Compromiser of sorts but in the end it comes out Stalin. A "direct line to God" kind of thinking is def. included, but its not the only one.
I can see a certain duality here, there are Hitlers and there are Himmlers as well as Maximilien Robespierre . Both varieties of Narcissists (I'm not literally meaning these historical figures, but people that act in a similar manner). There is a spectrum between them with Max somewhere in the middle (again I'm not diagnosing them, just using them as archetypes).
In regards to religion, there can be John Calvin types (google him seriously, he's a really jacked character) but you can also have the dogmatic cleric type as well as the "inquisitor" or a combination of the above. Even the simple door-to-door evangelist that has the "Holy Wrath" when you decline to join the church immediately may be in the mix.
In the end, the type of N eventually comes out regardless of the position or post. I'm the dogmatic type, when I get religious, so replace Stalin with Infidel and you get the drift. You don't necessarily have to be the preacher in the mega-church to be the N. It could easily be the old woman that uses power plays to dominate the organization of the church for all you know.

Its about the means to an end. I don't have a single clear identity, instead I have a fragmented collective identity. Which makes it easier to identify with groups or doctrines. Religion, politics, and academia serve as an arena to completely dominate one area and in which I can serve a unique role of being needed and/or praised as well as getting my totalitarian needs met.
Euler
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:36 am

Postby NotMyUsualUserName » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:59 am

I believe that a biochemical reactions that lies somewhere between enzymes, receptors and the combination of signaling molecules.

Call me a science nerd if you must. But i do believe this, and my goal really is to research such an idea (I've stated months ago that it has been shown that memory is only transcribed DNA).
All I know is no one dies
I'm still confusing love with need.
NotMyUsualUserName
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby kappadik » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:34 pm

I am atheist, which some will find quite predictable for a N, I guess.
kappadik
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:36 am

Postby Phoenixrising81704 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:49 pm

Wiccan since about 13, more specifically BTW and since becoming aware of my NPD I wonder if that's to be better and special.
Because here the victims become the monsters and need the help.
Phoenixrising81704
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:36 am

Postby Myers » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:16 pm

My father was a narcissist and very religious. Or, rather, he pretended to be very religious. He was one of the church leaders. Very affluent in Bible speak. And he used his position in the church to act as a counselor of sorts for other members. It was also part of the mask... no one would question a respected member of the church.
Myers
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby littlewing » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:15 pm

Myers wrote:My father was a narcissist and very religious. Or, rather, he pretended to be very religious. He was one of the church leaders. Very affluent in Bible speak. And he used his position in the church to act as a counselor of sorts for other members. It was also part of the mask... no one would question a respected member of the church.

I shudder to think how common this is. My mom is born-again Christian and believes she is favored by God and claims that he speaks to her. Interestingly, everything he commands her to do benefits her and nobody else. I used to let her drag me to church with her - usually mega churches where they do laying on of hands and speaking in tongues. She loves the drama. Many of the pastors seemed power hungry and vain. They strut around in their designer suits with their beautiful blonde wives at their side and soaked up the admirations of thousands of desperate people. An ideal situation for a narcissist.
Dx: Bipolar II, ADD

Rx: Abilify 5, Prozac 20, Wellbutrin XL 150, Vyvanse 40, Ambien 12.5
littlewing
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Return to Narcissistic Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post