Our partner

Motivation?

Narcissistic Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Motivation?

Postby DaturaInnoxia » Sun May 17, 2020 9:32 am

Semi-vague questions, but:

I'm wondering what types of things people would consider to motivate them?

What kind of things are of value to them?
They collect information to stock pile in their souls, saying, "I will tuck this into my subconscious for later use."  ~ unknown
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
DaturaInnoxia
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:55 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Motivation?

Postby ViniStonemoss » Sun May 17, 2020 6:17 pm

Freud said work and love. And I find that it sums it all up.

I see work as both what brings food to the table and a main source of fulfillment (so in my case, creative freedom).

And love as a successful relationship, with possibly a myriad of less intense but warm/stimulating relationships such as friendship or work relationships.

Fairly straightforward.

What about you?
ViniStonemoss
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:55 am

Postby DaturaInnoxia » Mon May 18, 2020 12:01 am

I'd say I'm primarily motivated to entertain myself (humor, creativity, curiousity, learning, etc.) and be as comfortable as possible - along with (normally) purpose/service and spirituality.

I've felt burnt out and unsettled for a long time now, so the last couple have been on the back burner.

I value the the freedom to do as I like, authenticity, and like you said, creative expression.
I can't say I value personal relations that much except for rare instances where the persons are comfortable and enjoyable.

I don't value maintaining the order of social structures / hierarchies (which often comes with social participation) and I'm still trying to understand the benefits to doing so. I try to adhere and then I get frustrated and stop caring.

I've realized I deeply value the presence of nature even if it's only sitting in a park or going down to the water.

I normally value encouraging inspiration or creating some type of improvement in quality of life for people I support (when I don't feel burnt out or unsettled) - same with spiritual activities be it meditation, etc.
They collect information to stock pile in their souls, saying, "I will tuck this into my subconscious for later use."  ~ unknown
DaturaInnoxia
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Manners73 » Mon May 25, 2020 7:16 pm

DaturaInnoxia wrote:Semi-vague questions, but:

I'm wondering what types of things people would consider to motivate them?

What kind of things are of value to them?

Money.
England's Glory
Manners73
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:55 am

Postby justonemoreperson » Tue May 26, 2020 6:04 am

I'm motivated by things that interest me, for the duration that they interest me.
I'm not arguing; I'm explaining why I'm right.
justonemoreperson
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby DaturaInnoxia » Tue May 26, 2020 6:45 am

You've mentioned getting bored easily at some point, I think.
Maybe that's part of being successful and being motivated to accomplish things as well.

I'm curiosity driven, but also quite easily entertained, so I don't think I get bored that easily.
Comfort and stability are better to me - though most people prefer entertainment and stimulation.
DaturaInnoxia
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby justonemoreperson » Tue May 26, 2020 6:59 am

If I get interested in something, I want to do it and I want to do it now. I'll throw myself into it and get almost fixated on it until it's done. Anything else that needs to be done while that's happening will just get ignored.

But, if it lasts beyond my attention span I'll get bored with it and it'll remain unfinished.

It's taught me to do things quickly.

Comfort and stability are great if I'm not driven to do something, but I get easily restless doing nothing. If I remain restless for any length of time, then I tend to look for stuff to do. If nothing presents itself, then my imagination kicks in and I'll end up doing something more outrageous, like going out and buying goats or something.
justonemoreperson
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby DaturaInnoxia » Tue May 26, 2020 7:13 am

You went and randomly bought goats?! That sounds awesome
Dare I ask?
DaturaInnoxia
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby justonemoreperson » Tue May 26, 2020 7:17 am

DaturaInnoxia wrote:You went and randomly bought goats?! That sounds awesome
Dare I ask?

Not goats, no; just as example of the kind of impulsive stuff I get into my head.
justonemoreperson
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby DaturaInnoxia » Tue May 26, 2020 7:26 am

Fair enough, sounds creative though
DaturaInnoxia
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Next

Return to Narcissistic Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post