Our partner

Narcissism?

Narcissistic Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Narcissism?

Postby HSS » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:08 am

I am confused about this: if someone has a self-image that isn't entirely related with his self/body/reality, is he surely a narcissist?

I explain it better: I think that my self-image isn't realistic under some aspects, but I don't feel so much social competition, I haven't a consistent feeling to be superior or inferior than others.
Sometimes I feel to be a little “different” in a positive or negative way, but this isn't a strong and constant feeling; then it can be a narcissistic trait, but it's quite weak and occasional, as I don't think very often about social life.
But I could have a self-image that isn't entirely realistic. I don't put myself in a competition against other people, it's self-centered. A self-image that isn't totally connected with your real way of being is a narcissistic trait, even if there isn't an element of social competition in it?
HSS
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:23 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Narcissism?

Postby Akuma » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:12 pm

HSS wrote:I am confused about this: if someone has a self-image that isn't entirely related with his self/body/reality, is he surely a narcissist?

Short answer no.
Longer answer, it depends, Narcissistic can mean several things, my therapist for exampel uses narcissistic mostly as a synonym for structural. So if there is a psychostructural lack that leads to your inability to look at yourself clearly then yea thats a narcissistic issue. But more concretely this can have a wide variety of causes of course. Kinda doubt that a completely realistic self-image exists at all.
From a more pop-psych perspective I'd say that thinking about yourself liek this is the most narcissistic aspect of it tbh.
dx: dissociative disorder + npd
Akuma
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:23 am
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby AProphet » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:05 pm

I decided to break up your post into an I.objective and II.subjective part

HSS wrote:I am confused about this: if someone has a self-image that isn't entirely related with his self/body/reality, is he surely a narcissist?

I.Self image is not constant. It fluctuates depending on what happens within and arround us, very many different reasons. Self image abstracting from reality is NOT uncommon. The narcissistic case is only the extreme pathological example, where that image has no relation to reality whatsoever. It is not the defining feature of narcissisitc personality [self image], just one of the related issues.

HSS wrote:I explain it better: I think that my self-image isn't realistic under some aspects, but I don't feel so much social competition, I haven't a consistent feeling to be superior or inferior than others.
Sometimes I feel to be a little “different” in a positive or negative way, but this isn't a strong and constant feeling; then it can be a narcissistic trait, but it's quite weak and occasional, as I don't think very often about social life.
But I could have a self-image that isn't entirely realistic. I don't put myself in a competition against other people, it's self-centered. A self-image that isn't totally connected with your real way of being is a narcissistic trait, even if there isn't an element of social competition in it?

As of the subjective part II: Everyone likes to feel "special", nothing bad about finding reasons to differentiate yourself from others, be they good or bad ones. One important difference you highlight is that narcissistic traits are something entirely different than pathological narcissism A certain ammount of narcissistic traits is healthy, and not all with NPD possess all narcissistic traits. Once again. Nothing wrong with having a "wrong" (not realistic enough), or even looking for your true, authentic self image, being lost a bit on the way. Its a difficult process and you should just keep reflecting untill you find common themes, and then decide whether to keep those traits, or change them. Searching for yourself doesnt put you on the side of pathology.
AProphet
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:23 pm

Postby AProphet » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:27 pm

Akuma wrote:Short answer no.
Longer answer, it depends, Narcissistic can mean several things, my therapist for exampel uses narcissistic mostly as a synonym for structural. So if there is a psychostructural lack that leads to your inability to look at yourself clearly then yea thats a narcissistic issue. But more concretely this can have a wide variety of causes of course. Kinda doubt that a completely realistic self-image exists at all.
From a more pop-psych perspective I'd say that thinking about yourself liek this is the most narcissistic aspect of it tbh.

Short question Akuma. How can you be so stupid? that you still dont understand, what narcissistic means. How can your therapist be so stupid. Totally unrelated concepts. Thinking about yourself is narcissistic? Ever heard about self reflection?
AProphet
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:23 pm

Return to Narcissistic Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post