Our partner

Therapy? No thanks.

Narcissistic Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Re: Therapy? No thanks.

Postby HSS » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:18 am

Do they prescribe stimulants for Aspd? Why? I would have assumed the opposite.
“Humor is reason gone mad."

“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
HSS
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:46 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby Manners73 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:30 pm

I use ritalin for adhd. That's probably why he gets it too.
England's Glory
Manners73
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:46 pm

Postby HSS » Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:59 pm

Thanks Manners.
How is it going with it? Does it work? Negative side effects?

HSS
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Manners73 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:48 pm

I've been using it for so long that I don't really notice anymore.

The main thing for me is that I'm able to hold down jobs long term. I'm not always abandoning my family and responsibilities.

Yeah I suppose it works.

I never know if it's the drug or age but I am also able to stop myself and think about the consequences of something before I act.

It's like everything slows down and I can see the outcome and then everything speeds back up again and I'm able to pull back from the situation.

I never had that ability before.
England's Glory
Manners73
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby HSS » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:44 pm

Great.

Manners73 wrote:It's like everything slows down and I can see the outcome and then everything speeds back up again and I'm able to pull back from the situation.

I never had that ability before.

This is very interesting. Thanks for sharing. I am trying to remind how it happens when I think in advance about the consequences of my behaviour... I will keep an eye.

HSS
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Manners73 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:23 pm

Yeah it is interesting. I've noticed it happen a couple of times in my life.

The first was when I was 16 and I had someone by the throat at the top of a flight of concrete stairs. Everything went quiet and slowed down like I was given a chance to think things through. I can actually remember it as if the moment lasted for about 5 minutes when in fact it would have been a matter of seconds.

The other time wasn't so long ago and I got pulled by the police one morning on my way to work. Exactly the same thing happened. Everything slowed down and I had time to think about what I was doing.

It's like when people say their whole life flashes before their eyes but with this it's like my whole future (if I did the wrong thing) flashes before my eyes. I mean every single second, hour, day and year and it all in pictures too.

It's the look in people's eyes when they realise I'm not going to do what they think I'm going to do that is the best part. Things must be running at the same speed for them but everything's slowed down for me.

It's weird but I don't think I'm so unique in this. It's probably quite normal.
England's Glory
Manners73
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Esmoke » Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:40 pm

I go to therapy but my honest assessment is that I have been such a terrible person over the course of my life that I don’t really deserve to get better.
Esmoke
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:46 pm

Postby Akuma » Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:44 am

Esmoke wrote:I go to therapy but my honest assessment is that I have been such a terrible person over the course of my life that I don’t really deserve to get better.

Well, eventhough this shouldnt be the primary goal of therapy, because therapy is for yourself, not for others, but: if therapy will make you a less terrible person over time this seems like a good side effect to me.
dx: dissociative disorder + npd
Akuma
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:46 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby HSS » Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:13 pm

Manners73 wrote:Yeah it is interesting. I've noticed it happen a couple of times in my life.

The first was when I was 16 and I had someone by the throat at the top of a flight of concrete stairs. Everything went quiet and slowed down like I was given a chance to think things through. I can actually remember it as if the moment lasted for about 5 minutes when in fact it would have been a matter of seconds.

The other time wasn't so long ago and I got pulled by the police one morning on my way to work. Exactly the same thing happened. Everything slowed down and I had time to think about what I was doing.

It's like when people say their whole life flashes before their eyes but with this it's like my whole future (if I did the wrong thing) flashes before my eyes. I mean every single second, hour, day and year and it all in pictures too.

It's the look in people's eyes when they realise I'm not going to do what they think I'm going to do that is the best part. Things must be running at the same speed for them but everything's slowed down for me.

It's weird but I don't think I'm so unique in this. It's probably quite normal.

Thank you and yes, I think it can happen. I have a confused memory of a situation where I was panicking and going to do something idiot; then, the time "stopped its movement" for awhile, and I was able to “see” the future (not every detail like you 'though), so that lucidity came back.

I found your post interesting also why I repeatedly read something suggesting that some temperaments are likely to experience an accelerated time perception. In the past, I asked Slyther about psychopaths, but it could perhaps happen to someone with an antisocial disorder/antisocial traits, or someone with Adhd, most likely for different reasons.

We all experience moments when time runs. I just wonder if someone experiences it (almost) continuously. I am also considering if it can be related to different brain waves and their frequency (mainly for psychopathy), but I don't know enough.

HSS
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby easiersaidthandone » Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:13 pm

Esmoke wrote:I go to therapy but my honest assessment is that I have been such a terrible person over the course of my life that I don’t really deserve to get better.

Embrace your terribleness.

Put it to good use.
I don't fake it. I just make it.
easiersaidthandone
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

PreviousNext

Return to Narcissistic Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies