Our partner

NPD vs BPD rage

Narcissistic Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

NPD vs BPD rage

Postby sickofbeinginvalid » Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:36 am

Can someone tell me what the difference is between a Borderline and a Narcissist rage? I know they can look similar but how would you distinguish whether it’s coming from a BP or NP ? Also who would win in a fight? A nasty narc or a bad ass borderline?
sickofbeinginvalid
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:27 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: NPD vs BPD rage

Postby DaturaInnoxia » Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:42 am

I don't normally do this forum, but a narcissist is much more likely to "win" (and with relative ease) via invalidation mixed with mind ###$ ing the borderline
Also, predators tend to profile borderlines and histrionics amongst others, obviously
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
DaturaInnoxia
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:27 pm

Postby sickofbeinginvalid » Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:45 am

DaturaInnoxia wrote:I don't normally do this forum, but a narcissist is much more likely to "win" (with relative ease) via invalidation mixed with mind ###$ ing the borderline
Also, predators tend to profile borderlines and histrionics - amongst others obviously

I think in the larger and longer scope this may be true but I also think if they were in a public setting the Borderline would win hands down because narcissists are too scared to be exposed and would probably run away where as borderlines don’t care about consequences in that moment and will blow up regardless of who is around.
sickofbeinginvalid
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby DaturaInnoxia » Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:55 am

I think I can agree with that, but then the borderline will be left looking bat $#%^ crazy whist the narcissist makes themselves out to be the nobel victim causing the borderline to suffer in the long run - especially if it happens infront of anyone important.

Another thing to take into account is narcissists tend to be (more often) slow burning as opposed to the borderline who will go out with a bang but have little fuel left for the punishments to come afterwards

Anyways, I'm going to leave this topic now given I don't want to sound insulting of a PD on their actual forum
DaturaInnoxia
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:27 pm

Postby Akuma » Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:00 am

sickofbeinginvalid wrote:Can someone tell me what the difference is between a Borderline and a Narcissist rage? I know they can look similar but how would you distinguish whether it’s coming from a BP or NP ?

Kryzen 2017- The Narcissistic Spectrum Model wrote:Finally, researches have also pursued the notion that narcissists should be especially
likely to aggress following threats to their self-worth,
in accordance with the classic notions of “narcissistic rage,”
which suggest that challenges to narcissists’ fragile sense of
self will lead to immature lashing out at others (Kohut,
1978). Although grandiosity does seem to fuel aggression in
response direst status threats, it does not fuel unrestrained
anger, hostility, or aggressive retaliations following minor
provocations (Bettencourt, Talley, Benjamin, & Valentine,
2006; Krizan & Johar, 2015; Rasmussen, 2016).]

Also who would win in a fight? A nasty narc or a bad ass borderline?

Of course if we imagien two immature people with impulse control issues yelling at each other, nobody wins. Its just some brain cells misfiring.
dx: dissociative disorder + npd
Akuma
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:27 am
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby AProphet » Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:53 am

It should be mentioned that narcissistic rage is the term for shadow side triggers of the narcissistic personality in specific. The term may not be used in the context of BPD, those are (as far as I know) just triggers.

The shadow (as per C.G. Jung) is the collection of personality traits we've rejected about ourselves, so they now operate on an unconscious level, having it root in formative upbringing, when we are being taught by our parents what is good and bad, allowed and not allowed. The shadow side gets triggered and leads to lashing out, which the conscious mind is not aware that the behavior is irrational.

One other example of this I know is for girls that had to compete for daddy's love (big families), they get extremely triggered by intimate partner choosing to spend time bowling with friends instead of with them. Its an unconsious self esteem threat in that case. Just a loose example for some context. The general term were looking at is unconscious triggers.

Now, what I realy ment to contribute to the thread. This is a repost but its higly relevant here. This is the set of responses that Ive identified that made me rage and lash out (as NPD codependant):

1.being rejected by a girl that wanted to see you; before you self abused and discarded her, ruining the idealize/devalue yourself/discard pattern
2.being cheated on money, my friend promissed to pay for the 1g but didnt, I raged at him
3.a friend seeing my true self in the moment I fell in love, my jaw dropped and I was staring blindly at her (my false self claimed a different reason for this, "I let down my friend")
4.Other people having thoughts, like the aforementioned friend thinking im stupid for not knowing (this was at first reinterpreted, gave me narcissistic injury after a psychotic epsiode)
5.being wrong about the girl I was in love with, that I didnt want to meet her and she was synchronous, (this gave me a slight psychotic episode)
6.not knowing O. isnt reading the messeges, my true self that wrote it for a different reason was allready "dead" and had no bearing. My false self never asked the question if shes reading them becouse she wasnt allowed thoughts. Everyone knew what I know. Only the narcissist has thoughts.
This gave me a big psychotic episode, those have become a lot more intense since I revived the true self and theres all this conflicting information about whats real.
7.not being able to tell the twin sisters B. and J. apart, I raged and stalked them, few days psychotic episode after
8.telepathy between me and my twin flame (wont explain this, was reinterpreted as chat messages and gave me a few day psychotic episode)
9.an example of my NPD collegue: telling everyone at a party that he wants to "come inside" his girlfriend and his dick didnt stand up becouse he was high on MDMA, so he retreated from the party
10.an example of another colleague, I told him his girlfriend was angry with him, he raged at me even though I was helping him (him not knowing something, doesnt exist other people have feeling)
AProphet
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:27 pm

Postby number230000 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:01 pm

sickofbeinginvalid wrote:Can someone tell me what the difference is between a Borderline and a Narcissist rage? I know they can look similar but how would you distinguish whether it’s coming from a BP or NP ? Also who would win in a fight? A nasty narc or a bad ass borderline?

NPD experience rage when humiliated and BPD when abandoned.

The NPD has superficial charm and cool calculation. He can scheme and get away with it, and if caught, will talk his way out of trouble. The BPD is impulsive so will throw the first punch in a fit of fury. His temporary insanity will allow him to escape punishment by going to the mental hospital.
Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore
number230000
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Postby xdude » Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:20 am

In a bigger picture not sure it matters much.

I don't mind asking some tough questions though. Whatever others envisioned the difference to be, if you saw both, would have a different impression based on age, sex, social status, wealth, etc?

Thing is, people tend to do what they are approved of and avoid what they are not. So the difference may have less to do with how the two appear then what might really matter, what they get beat up for, or get some support for.

Aka a not a different personality disorder at heart, but a difference in a social outlook on the same disorder.
We do NOT delete posts

Read the forum rules before posting here. If you are having any doubts about what you are posting, if you are thinking in the back of your mind, "I am going to want to delete this, or these details, later", remove those details, or step back and don't post until you are sure.
xdude
Site Admin

Postby AProphet » Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:53 am

number230000 wrote:
sickofbeinginvalid wrote:Can someone tell me what the difference is between a Borderline and a Narcissist rage? I know they can look similar but how would you distinguish whether it’s coming from a BP or NP ? Also who would win in a fight? A nasty narc or a bad ass borderline?

The NPD has superficial charm and cool calculation. He can scheme and get away with it, and if caught, will talk his way out of trouble. The BPD is impulsive so will throw the first punch in a fit of fury. His temporary insanity will allow him to escape punishment by going to the mental hospital.

+1
AProphet
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby sickofbeinginvalid » Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:18 am

number230000 wrote:

Do you think borderlines react this way over humiliation as well? I feel like if someone humiliates sometimes I’ll feel sad and other times I’ll act out in rage. But I definitely tend to retreat or run away when I feel like the world is against me. Abandonment on the other hand brings about a HUGE amount of emotions I cannot truly understand.
sickofbeinginvalid
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Next

Return to Narcissistic Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post