Our partner

What do you think of this?

Narcissistic Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

What do you think of this?

Postby Ubinix800 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:04 pm

https://www.businessinsider.com/narciss ... ?r=US&IR=T

Shows the difference between having "narcissism", like compensatory narcissism, and the true full blown meaning on the disorder. I mean certain for the compensatory type, it basically stems from feelings of worthlessness and inferiority, emotionally vulnerable and defensive yes, abusive no.
BDD and vulnerable narcissism/avpd traits.
Ubinix800
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:29 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: What do you think of this?

Postby thelivinghell92 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:29 pm

This is a very important article. I agree that the term narcissist is wildly overused nowadays. The fact that most studies on the prevalence of NPD estimate only 0.5-1% actually have the disorder shows that the chances you are in a relationship with one aren't especially high.

But, I was thinking about this the other day. Wouldn't it be fair to say that the rate of NPD varies dramatically between different families? For example, if there really is one narcissist in a given family, the chances are far greater that there will be other disordered individuals within that same family. As NPD originates in large part from dysfunctional parenting, it would be fair to say that a dysfunctional, disordered parent would possibly produce a son or daughter who grows up with a personality disorder also and their siblings may suffer the same.

Then, there is the question of how much genetics play a role in the development of NPD and other personality disorders? As not all children raised by disordered parents will become disordered themselves. And similarly, not all children who are abused go on to become murderers or pedophiles. It is widely accepted by psychologists/psychiatrists that it takes both nature and nurture to create individuals with PDs and other pathologies.

So yes, the term narcissist is way overused and the actual disorder is pretty rare (1 in 100 people at most), but the disorder and other PDs probably group together at quite a high rate within particularly dysfunctional families (that's my theory anyway!).
I have - High functioning autism, OCD (episodic), social anxiety and depersonalization/derealization disorder

Expect I may have - Avoidant/schizoid personality disorder or traits
thelivinghell92
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Postby Ubinix800 » Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:17 pm

thelivinghell92 wrote: For example, if there really is one narcissist in a given family, the chances are far greater that there will be other disordered individuals within that same family.

Yep I can see vulnerable narc traits in my dad, granddad, and a few other members of my family as well, think that type is kinda common. Whether it's related or not is debatable.
BDD and vulnerable narcissism/avpd traits.
Ubinix800
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby xdude » Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:54 pm

Good article that points out that narcissism is not a simple you have it, or you don't matter.

What is also messy is that people may outwardly appear to be similar, even if their underlying motives are very different. I am going to make a generalization, a story, it's also a simplification -

A.) You disagree with what I learned, I am special/entitled, I learned I was special/entitled, I am right.

B.) You disagree with what I learned, I am valueless except for what I do for others, I must fight back, I am right.

Outwardly it appears the same, but the motives are very different.

Even more murky is that some narcissism probably is healthy, but then again so is having a desire to eat food, to have sex, to compete, etc. Is there an I eat too much to the point of being ill, my life has gotten into trouble due to sex, have I lost my friends and loved ones being overly competitive, etc.? It's a murky grey area between what we may think of as 'healthy' vs 'pathological'.
We do NOT delete posts

Read the forum rules before posting here. If you are having any doubts about what you are posting, if you are thinking in the back of your mind, "I am going to want to delete this, or these details, later", remove those details, or step back and don't post until you are sure.
xdude
Site Admin

Local time: Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:29 pm

Return to Narcissistic Personality Disorder Forum