Our partner

Arrogance...

Narcissistic Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: realityhere

Arrogance...

Postby Manners73 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:24 pm

I've been called arrogant before but it was when I was younger and I didn't even know what it meant.

I must say that I couldn't fault myself until I got to about 25 years old and realised I'm not as great as I thought I was. This was one of the best realisations of my life as it was when I really started to learn.

I'm still arrogant though and I think I always will be. I believe it's a personality trait but I keep it well hidden and I don't make other people feel like $#%^ because of it anymore.

Are you arrogant and how does this affect your life?

Can it be a good thing?
England's Glory
Manners73
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:44 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Arrogance...

Postby easiersaidthandone » Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:17 pm

Manners73 wrote:Are you arrogant and how does this affect your life?

I've been described as not listening to what others are saying, particularly when the topic is of an accusing or correcting nature. Not that I don't take feedback. I do, but relatively quickly I make my mind up that I know best or better than most others because I put in work to hone the skills I take interest in. I'll still take advice, but the way I react to it depends particularly on how the person delivers it because power is important to me.

From my perspective, when I know I'm right there's nothing anyone can do or say to wobble that particular view. So to others it appears as if they're speaking to a wall. If need be, I'll pretend to heed the advice and continue doing things my way. I don't put authority on a pedestal once I've picked up the core basics of the particular skill and decided on a better way to do things. I always put my own personal twist and don't like to follow scripts or rules.

Even if someone is better than me at the moment; I know with smart and hard work I'm capable of reaching their level and surpass them eventually. Too bad once I get some success and learn the ins and outs my interest starts fading and look for something new to stimulate my brain.
I don't fake it. I just make it.
easiersaidthandone
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Akuma » Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:24 pm

Manners73 wrote:Are you arrogant and how does this affect your life?

Can it be a good thing?

I've always thought you can be as arrogant as you like when you are actually an expert on the topic in whichs context you are arrogant. But being arrogant (or asking for respect) and having nothing to show for it - beh.
dx: dissociative disorder + npd
Akuma
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:44 am
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby HSS » Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:53 pm

@Manners: I can't put together your arrogance and your doubts about your social image: e.g. when you say that someone judges you a bully, sometimes it sounds to me – I am not sure - as you share his vision and blame yourself. How do you put together these two aspects ?
HSS
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:44 am

Postby justonemoreperson » Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:16 pm

I don't think people mind arrogance if it's realistic, bud add ignorance and it becomes loudly irritating.

People say that I'm arrogant, probably because I'm so direct, but I'll not hold an opinion if it's pointed out to be wrong.

Seeing someone as arrogant can also be a symptom of having little confidence in yourself.
I'm not arguing; I'm explaining why I'm right.
justonemoreperson
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Manners73 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:01 pm

HSS wrote:@Manners: I can't put together your arrogance and your doubts about your social image: e.g. when you say that someone judges you a bully, sometimes it sounds to me – I am not sure - as you share his vision and blame yourself. How do you put together these two aspects ?

I'm more offended by being accused of bullying when I'm merely daring to question someone's motives. I feel it's too easy an accusation to fling about.

As a child I feel my arrogance was blind but as I've got older I've learned to use it with more confidence and even with humour.

Like I'll say things like "you really ought to be more like me".

Is that arrogance do you think?

I is a bit tongue in cheek.
England's Glory
Manners73
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby HSS » Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:39 pm

Manners73 wrote:As a child I feel my arrogance was blind but as I've got older I've learned to use it with more confidence and even with humour.

Like I'll say things like "you really ought to be more like me".

Is that arrogance do you think?

Nah, it's just amusing to me. But it's difficult to give a general answer, it depends on your mimic, inflection, when you say it, towards what kind of people...
HSS
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:44 am

Postby Manners73 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:53 pm

Only with people who I know won't kick me in the @@@@@@@.
England's Glory
Manners73
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby ZeroZ » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:19 pm

I’ve been told I tend to not listen when people are talking and I’ve got lost in my own thoughts and just walked away in the middle of conversation only to discover (shockingly) they are still talking. I’ve also been told by women I’ve dated that this is hot or a turn on for them.
ZeroZ
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:44 am

Postby Manners73 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:26 pm

I don't tend to listen when people are talking to me. I just think to myself that I know what they're saying anyway, it's the same stuff as they always say. Also I'm not that interested either because I've already made my own mind up about whatever the situation in hand is.

It makes me laugh when people are talking to me when I've got a headset on. All I can see is their lips moving. Surely they must know this yet they still carry on.

If that was me I would call me an ignorant @@@@@@@ and walk away.
England's Glory
Manners73
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Next

Return to Narcissistic Personality Disorder Forum