Our partner

Magnesium Supplement

Narcissistic Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Magnesium Supplement

Postby justonemoreperson » Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:34 am

A little while ago I was discussing the benefit of adding a magnesium supplement to see if it would help the lack of motivation and attention span issues I've always had.

I thought it might be useful to post an update.

I've been taking the stuff for over a week now and I wasn't really expecting anything, but I have to say that I am finding it a little easier to focus.

I'm not sure if it's the expectation or the drugs, probably a mixture of both, and I've not turned into some incredible organisation machine, but I have noticed a difference.
I'm not arguing; I'm explaining why I'm right.
justonemoreperson
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:47 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Magnesium Supplement

Postby Gimmeabreakman » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:00 am

Couldn't it simply be placebo? Even though you didn't expect anything, your subconscious may have believed in it enough to have some effect.

I just can't see how magnesium could help motivation or focus. Especially motivation.
Sure it can make you less stressed/depressed, but, I, for one, don't get more motivated when I'm not one of those things.
Gimmeabreakman
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:47 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby justonemoreperson » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:21 am

Gimmeabreakman wrote:Couldn't it simply be placebo? Even though you didn't expect anything, your subconscious may have believed in it enough to have some effect.

Probably, as I stated:

I'm not sure if it's the expectation or the drugs, probably a mixture of both

I tried it as I read that it had an impact on attention span / focus. I can't speak for the effects on other things, such as depression / stress as you mention, but I find there seems to be an improvement in focusing on boring stuff.
justonemoreperson
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby realityhere » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:33 am

Hmm, interesting. I've been taking a magnesium supplement to reduce muscle cramps in the legs during sleep and it works to reduce that problem.
realityhere
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:47 pm

Postby justonemoreperson » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:36 am

realityhere wrote:Hmm, interesting. I've been taking a magnesium supplement to reduce muscle cramps in the legs during sleep and it works to reduce that problem.

Actually, I've noticed that I don't have muscle cramps in my legs either. That said, I didn't have them before.

Have you noticed any change in your attention span or focus?
justonemoreperson
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Akuma » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:48 am

realityhere wrote:Hmm, interesting. I've been taking a magnesium supplement to reduce muscle cramps in the legs during sleep and it works to reduce that problem.

I had been using Magnesiumcitrate a while ago when I had cramp problems - now it seems induced by some bronchial spray I was using - and I looked a bit into the scientific side. Turns out theres no evidence at all for magnesium working against cramps unless you are pregnant lol.

Attention span hmm I couldnt say. I didnt focus on that. No pun intended. Magnesium is in the list of migraine prevention meds though so it might have some neurological effects on some people.
dx: dissociative disorder + npd
Akuma
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:47 am

Postby easiersaidthandone » Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:50 pm

justonemoreperson wrote: help the lack of motivation and attention span issues I've always had.

I take Wellbutrin for the same reason. It's a mild stimulant that works all day.
I don't fake it. I just make it.
easiersaidthandone
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Manners73 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:07 pm

I tried using it for restless leg syndrome but I think I over did it and it ended up making me ill.
England's Glory
Manners73
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby danmc888 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:11 am

My doctor recommended magnesium supplements to help prevent migraines and I've found that they also help with depression. Motivation? Not in my experience, but I guess if depression is holding you back, anything that relieves that could help in that regard.
danmc888
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:47 pm

Postby SelfSerf » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:56 pm

Just listened to a Rogan podcast that dissected this guy’s experience with chronic fatigue syndrome. He was besridsen for 15 years and finally was prescribed magnesium along with oxytocin, which is the first time i’ve heard of this. Said it made him trust people.

Which is all fine and dandy but for the fact that pwNPD brains do not probably respond as well to this, since aversion to this is kind of part of our personality.

So it probably won’t help a regular narcissist but maybe might function with those that have an underlying BPD core (which if I understand correctly, the Covert/inverted/hypervigilant type has), as it’s been used for BPD therapy. Another magic bullet on my list of reasons to not kill myself, yet.
“Should I kill myself, or have a cup of coffee?”
Camus
SelfSerf
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:47 am

Next

Return to Narcissistic Personality Disorder Forum