Our partner

Anyone here an entrepreneur?

Narcissistic Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Anyone here an entrepreneur?

Postby covertunsure » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:27 pm

Hey guys. Curious if any of my fellow narcissists here is an entrepreneur or small business owner? If so, how do you build your business and stay the course with narcissistic traits? There's virtually no instant gratification and lots of ego blows and rejection. And when something isn't easy and doesn't immediately work, I find it's super easy for me to give up and my grandiosity kicks in and says "this other shiny object over here will be far easier and far more instantly successful."

I have virtually no sticktoitiveness. I've "started" countless businesses that I always lost total interest in within a few days to a maximum of a month or two. I split the businesses, like borderlines/narcissists do. When it's exciting and new, it's the greatest idea. When it gets too hard or not as novel, I split it to the extent it sounds awful and not right for me and I can't pick it up and work on it anymore and need to move onto the next exciting, short-lived thing.

I want to be successful, but I feel like this disorder precludes it. In so many ways, this disorder is torture.
covertunsure
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:10 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Anyone here an entrepreneur?

Postby covertunsure » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:36 pm

*crickets* No one here an entrepreneur or business owner? Are we doomed from that kind of self-activation and agency?
covertunsure
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby ViniStonemoss » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:34 pm

covertunsure wrote:*crickets*

Lol.

covertunsure wrote:I have virtually no sticktoitiveness.

This is one of my major issue, and I'm just starting to develop some.

It might be a personality issue on top of disordered traits. Some MBTi types for instance are known to naturally lack follow through, "pure perceivers" (EXXP) mostly but not just. I'm one of those.
ViniStonemoss
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby covertunsure » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:51 pm

ViniStonemoss wrote:
covertunsure wrote:*crickets*

Lol.

covertunsure wrote:I have virtually no sticktoitiveness.

This is one of my major issue, and I'm just starting to develop some.

It might be a personality issue on top of disordered traits. Some MBTi types for instance are known to naturally lack follow through, "pure perceivers" (EXXP) mostly but not just. I'm one of those.

I always test as ENFP, but I firmly believe I'm more ENFJ, which are actually polar opposites, contrary to being just one letter off.

May I ask, what kind of work do you do? Are you also an entrepreneur/business owner?
covertunsure
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby justonemoreperson » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:28 am

@OP

You're all over the place.

Being "successful" is an abstract comment, as it doesn't mean anything on its own. 'Running a business' doesn't mean anything by itself.

I run my own business. I'm the managing director of a global business. Sounds good, right? Actually, it's basic paperwork. I'm a contractor and have to have a business for the legal side of billing and tax etc. I like doing what I do and the business is the crap I have to deal with, which I palm off to someone else, btw, to allow me to do what I like to do. Why do I palm it off? Because I'm s*** at it and will always be s*** at it.

If your only goal is to run a business, then that's the most boring thing on earth to do. If it's to be successful, then you have NPD - you'll never be happy with your success, because you'll always need a supply. Do you even know what "being successful" looks like to you?

So, instead of focusing on the idea of 'running a business' and 'being successful', what do you actually like to do that you can do consistently over time?

Crumbs is what you're after, not the big money. In my industry, there are hundreds of companies that make multi-millions heading off to the big customers, the big piece of cake, with board rooms and culture policies.

I'm not that, nor am I interested. I'm after the crumbs; the stuff that the big boys don't give a s*** about, because crumbs to me provide me with what I need and then some.
Last edited by realityhere on Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Swear filter evasion not permitted.
I'm not arguing; I'm explaining why I'm right.
justonemoreperson
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:10 pm

Postby salles » Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:24 pm

Apparently having narcissistic traits should be an advantage to being an entrepreneur according to this article.

https://www.fastcompany.com/3061922/entrepreneurs-four-worst-personality-traits-and-the-one-that-can-redeem-them

It looks at four of the more common negative personally traits entrepreneurs tend to share, plus one. ( read on ....)

1. PROBLEMS WITH AUTHORITY

2. EXCESSIVE RISK-TAKING

3. HIGH LEVELS OF NARCISSISM

4. MACHIAVELLIANISM

Before reading this I would have thought people with NPD are too prone to 'ego injury' to make certain objective decisions required for success.

But the article goes on to say

'Even people with counterproductive personality traits can be effective. The key is first becoming aware of them and, second, possessing the self-control to channel those negative tendencies into useful results'
salles
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:10 am

Postby covertunsure » Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:39 pm

justonemoreperson wrote:@OP

You're all over the place.

Being "successful" is an abstract comment, as it doesn't mean anything on its own. 'Running a business' doesn't mean anything by itself.

I run my own business. I'm the managing director of a global business. Sounds good, right? Actually, it's basic paperwork. I'm a contractor and have to have a business for the legal side of billing and tax etc. I like doing what I do and the business is the crap I have to deal with, which I palm off to someone else, btw, to allow me to do what I like to do. Why do I palm it off? Because I'm s*** at it and will always be s*** at it.

If your only goal is to run a business, then that's the most boring thing on earth to do. If it's to be successful, then you have NPD - you'll never be happy with your success, because you'll always need a supply. Do you even know what "being successful" looks like to you?

So, instead of focusing on the idea of 'running a business' and 'being successful', what do you actually like to do that you can do consistently over time?

Crumbs is what you're after, not the big money. In my industry, there are hundreds of companies that make multi-millions heading off to the big customers, the big piece of cake, with board rooms and culture policies.

I'm not that, nor am I interested. I'm after the crumbs; the stuff that the big boys don't give a s*** about, because crumbs to me provide me with what I need and then some.

Thank you for the response, justonemoreperson. Just wondering, could you expand on what you mean by saying I'm all over the place?

Also, what do you mean by crumbs? Your post is a bit abstract in describing what you do (and of course I understand that given this is an anonymous forum), so it's hard for me to understand, but it does sound like you enjoy what you do, which is important.

As far as what I like doing, you're right, I probably do need supply, though I'm not positive. My supply now consists almost solely of strangers staring at and ogling me for my looks in my public.

I've just started a podcast about current events and comedy, which may generate admirers/supply, but based on my track record, confidence and faith that I'll keep it up and really work on it and build it up is almost nil.

I also love technology and have since I was a little kid. So I enjoy creating software products/solutions, but I never see them through to completion, and I find the sales and marketing daunting and usually give up when that becomes critical.

-- Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:45 pm --

salles wrote:Apparently having narcissistic traits should be an advantage to being an entrepreneur according to this article.

https://www.fastcompany.com/3061922/entrepreneurs-four-worst-personality-traits-and-the-one-that-can-redeem-them

It looks at four of the more common negative personally traits entrepreneurs tend to share, plus one. ( read on ....)

1. PROBLEMS WITH AUTHORITY

2. EXCESSIVE RISK-TAKING

3. HIGH LEVELS OF NARCISSISM

4. MACHIAVELLIANISM

Before reading this I would have thought people with NPD are too prone to 'ego injury' to make certain objective decisions required for success.

But the article goes on to say

'Even people with counterproductive personality traits can be effective. The key is first becoming aware of them and, second, possessing the self-control to channel those negative tendencies into useful results'

I think I've heard this as well, and I believe it. Most majorly successful business leaders--especially outside the Silicon Valley software/hardware companies which seem to often be the creations of seemingly well-adapted young people out of Ivy League schools--has some significant personality quirks. Bill Gates, who seems level-headed, has been known to be pretty mean and blunt when he doesn't like something; same with Steve Jobs, who however possessed far more charisma and persuasiveness. Even someone like Richard Branson seems to possess the "excessive" risk-taking and boldness the article mentions. He's also a maverick, eccentric, and a bit of a daredevil physically, doing kitesurfing, skydiving, flying across the Atlantic in a balloon, and sailing.
covertunsure
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby justonemoreperson » Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:17 am

covertunsure wrote:
Thank you for the response, justonemoreperson. Just wondering, could you expand on what you mean by saying I'm all over the place?

I thought I spent the whole post explaining it. What's confusing you?

Also, what do you mean by crumbs? Your post is a bit abstract in describing what you do (and of course I understand that given this is an anonymous forum), so it's hard for me to understand, but it does sound like you enjoy what you do, which is important.

You need to take a less stereotypical view of a successful business person. You probably have ideas of a guy in a suit on a high floor of a skyscraper, overlooking a city backdrop. The reality is that most successful business people are dressed in shabby jeans and a t-shirt, picking up van-loads of stuff and driving thirty miles to make a buck.

Put an advert out asking for broken washing machines, offering free collection, and pick them up, rip out the copper from the motors and sell it. Then repeat for the next five years and you'll be successful.

I've just started a podcast about current events and comedy, which may generate admirers/supply, but based on my track record, confidence and faith that I'll keep it up and really work on it and build it up is almost nil.

This describes 99% of online content. Get offline and do something else; do it as a hobby but it is not going to be your thing. What you're describing here is the exact opposite of your skills. It requires dedication and consistency.

Business requires 1% imagination and ideas and 99% percent hard work. If you're honest with yourself and know that you can't be consistent, then you might be better off getting a job.
I'm not arguing; I'm explaining why I'm right.
justonemoreperson
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:10 pm

Postby ViniStonemoss » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:00 am

covertunsure wrote:May I ask, what kind of work do you do? Are you also an entrepreneur/business owner?

I'm a student at the moment, I am not an entrepreneur.
ViniStonemoss
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby covertunsure » Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:07 pm

justonemoreperson wrote:
covertunsure wrote:

I thought I spent the whole post explaining it. What's confusing you?

IDK, the "all over the place" comment seemed to come out of nowhere, but I guess you were expanding on it later on in your post.

You need to take a less stereotypical view of a successful business person. You probably have ideas of a guy in a suit on a high floor of a skyscraper, overlooking a city backdrop. The reality is that most successful business people are dressed in shabby jeans and a t-shirt, picking up van-loads of stuff and driving thirty miles to make a buck.

Put an advert out asking for broken washing machines, offering free collection, and pick them up, rip out the copper from the motors and sell it. Then repeat for the next five years and you'll be successful.

Yeah, I'm not the latter kind of hustler-to-make-a-buck person you mention, but I also don't have the ideas or aspirations of being a businessman in a suit. I'm keyed into the startup scene and know that most entrepreneurs don't dress up anymore; they just do cool (or not cool, but still do) stuff.

This describes 99% of online content. Get offline and do something else; do it as a hobby but it is not going to be your thing. What you're describing here is the exact opposite of your skills. It requires dedication and consistency.

Business requires 1% imagination and ideas and 99% percent hard work. If you're honest with yourself and know that you can't be consistent, then you might be better off getting a job.

You don't believe consistent habits can be created?

Regarding the bolded part, I've thought about getting a job many times and even took one across the country, which I was also fired from, but every time I talk with recruiters etc now I just don't feel excited about it and don't want to be bound by someone else's requirements or schedule.
covertunsure
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Next

Return to Narcissistic Personality Disorder Forum