Our partner

Anyone here an entrepreneur?

Narcissistic Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Re: Anyone here an entrepreneur?

Postby justonemoreperson » Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:01 pm

covertunsure wrote:
You don't believe consistent habits can be created?

To be honest, not really. You can try and find processes to compensate, but the underlying failure to be consistent in work etc is one that, in my experience, never goes away.

I was discussing the benefits of certain supplements to assist with this in a different forum, and it may yet prove to help. But, I don't think I will ever be normal in this regard.

From what you write, it doesn't seem as if you're ready yet to be able to do that, and constant trial and failure isn't going to help.

Maybe develop a process that works for you to try to combat this tendency to lose interest before you attempt to set yourself up to fail again.

I just don't feel excited about it and don't want to be bound by someone else's requirements or schedule.

It's the best first step to develop a process to mimic consistency.
I'm not arguing; I'm explaining why I'm right.
justonemoreperson
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:01 am
Blog: View Blog (1)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby covertunsure » Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:54 pm

justonemoreperson wrote:
covertunsure wrote:
You don't believe consistent habits can be created?

To be honest, not really. You can try and find processes to compensate, but the underlying failure to be consistent in work etc is one that, in my experience, never goes away.

I was discussing the benefits of certain supplements to assist with this in a different forum, and it may yet prove to help. But, I don't think I will ever be normal in this regard.

From what you write, it doesn't seem as if you're ready yet to be able to do that, and constant trial and failure isn't going to help.

Welp, that's encouraging. :lol: But as far as the last part, yes, true. I don't seem to learn from my mistakes. Maybe an aspergers/autistic trait, IDK. Lack of cognitive empathy/theory of mind.

Maybe develop a process that works for you to try to combat this tendency to lose interest before you attempt to set yourself up to fail again.

This is a good observation. That has consistently (the only real consistent thing in my life) been a pattern: getting super amped about a new business idea/project, sticking with it from anywhere between 2 days and 2 months and then suddenly losing interest. The loss of interest can be triggered by the mere loss of novelty, but more typically by trying to do sales and giving up when the first few people aren't interested. I have zero grit and am super affected by rejection. Sounds like a cop-out, but it's been the pattern throughout my life.

I just don't feel excited about it and don't want to be bound by someone else's requirements or schedule.

It's the best first step to develop a process to mimic consistency.

Maybe true. But I've had several jobs before and I never developed that habit or process, so what makes me think I would now? Like I said, I have a super flexible lifestyle that allows me to take a trip whenever I want, assuming I can afford it. I don't really take advantage of this anyway, but I would hate to once again feel a) limited by someone else's vision and my salary/job track, b) bored and unfulfilled as a corporate drone, and c) told when I must work. This may be my biggest immediate concern.

Then there's also my narcissistic, self-defeating need to save face and not admit "failure" to the world, that I failed at my own business after 10 years and had to throw in the towel. It feels so humiliating. It kinda helps me understand why rejected husbands/boyfriends go and shoot up their entire family and then themselves. Totally stupid and pointless when you think about it, as he won't be alive to get the satisfaction of having done that anyway, but I think it's a crime of "if I can't have you, no one can" combined with utter ego annihilation and humiliation.
covertunsure
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:01 am

Postby justonemoreperson » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:00 am

covertunsure wrote:a) limited by someone else's vision and my salary/job track, b) bored and unfulfilled as a corporate drone, and c) told when I must work. This may be my biggest immediate concern.

There's your first issue: the language you're using. "Limited by someone," "corporate drone," "told."

All of those phrases give the impression that you're not in control of what's happening to you, when in reality you're in control of everything, as it's a series of choices you're making.

Look at this statement:
"I have to set my alarm for 6am, because I have to go to work."

No, you don't. You don't have to set your alarm, neither do you have to go to work. You choose to set your alarm for 6am because you choose to go to work, because you choose the lifestyle that the money from working provides.

Once you get the idea in your head that everything you do is done through personal choice, then you're in control and no one is 'making you' do a damn thing.
justonemoreperson
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby ZeroZ » Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:20 pm

I agree we all make the choices we make for the reasons Jomp mentions. You could easily choose a life of crime, become a homeless alcoholic, or start a start-up business.

Just like people who start a new career and choose to work as little as possible leave after the minimum amount of time, they will complain they never have money and aren’t getting anywhere in the company and they are getting bypassed for promotions by new employees but they value their free time over getting ahead, which is fine but you have to accept that you aren’t going to have the resources other people do.

I don’t particularly like following rules and being on a schedule in fact I detest it BUT the structure keeps me from spinning out of control and I have a sense of pride that I can do for myself, starting a business is a huge investment in time, effort, and there is no guarantee it won’t be a complete and utter failure. You have to do whatever it takes to get it going, the rewards are huge but you have to be prepared to go all in a MAKE it happen.
ZeroZ
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Manners73 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:35 pm

It'd be easy to be an entrepreneur if you didn't have to go to all the extra hassle of registering your business and tax and all that shenanigan.

If you could just have an idea for business and run with it.

I used to wash cars for tuppence a go when I was a kid. A bucket, a sponge and someone else's water was all I needed. Then I dealt in second hand bikes. Buying, selling and doing them up.

I had my own cleaning business as a side line once but it was all cash in hand and the hardest part was chasing people for the money.

But to start something legit would be a struggle for me unfortunately.
England's Glory
Manners73
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby ZeroZ » Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:47 pm

What some people do is keep a job with decent pay and good benefits like a firefighter, union health care, pension, paid time off and start a small business on the side, had a buddy he installed windows, not a huge amount of overhead to get started and he had his wife book him jobs around his primary job.

Pick up truck with a plow on it and you can make nice cash in the winter time and make connections, maybe do some landscaping work in the summer. Me and a buddy were doing this when we were 19 years old, get paid to just gut an apartment that was going to get reworked dig a ditch and build a wall

Gotta hustle but there is plenty of money to be made, helps make connections, meet a few dudes in construction and before you know it more work is getting thrown at you than you can do, people don’t want to do this type of grunt work though, I liked it when I was young

I thought about buying a duelly pick up truck and hot shotting cars and equipment around the country, big money but you will be never be home
ZeroZ
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby justonemoreperson » Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:32 pm

Manners73 wrote:It'd be easy to be an entrepreneur if you didn't have to go to all the extra hassle of registering your business and tax and all that shenanigan.

In the UK, if you set up a limited company you have to have an external accountant by law, which means that most of that sh1t is taken care of for you.

All you'd need to do yourself is keep track of what you spend and what you make (receipts and invoices). There's software out there (Xero, Quickbooks etc) that can do all of that for you.

If you can get someone to help you set that up, the rest of it is just you working at what you do.

A reasonable accountant is going to cost you around £150 a month, so you'll need to factor that in to what you make and you'll need to set aside 30% of whatever you make for taxes and VAT, if you register. £13 a year for business registration and about £10 a month to have a website.

It's not as hard as it seems; if I can do it, anyone can.

This is what i was trying to explain to the covertunsure person; you might not be able to be consistent and diligent with that sort of stuff, but there are processes that you can put in place to compensate.

-- 24 Nov 2019, 15:34 --

ZeroZ wrote:
Pick up truck with a plow on it and you can make nice cash in the winter time and make connections, maybe do some landscaping work in the summer.

A friend of mine lives in Canada and does something similar. During the summer he cuts grass and during the winter he ploughs driveways.
Last edited by justonemoreperson on Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
justonemoreperson
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby ZeroZ » Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:37 pm

Jomp, did you start off working for someone else in the field you are in or did you start off completely fresh and learn on the job?
ZeroZ
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby justonemoreperson » Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:41 pm

ZeroZ wrote:Jomp, did you start off working for someone else in the field you are in or did you start off completely fresh and learn on the job?

I lost my job due to headcount reduction and went straight back the following week as a contractor. That said, I'm not doing what I did back then; it kinda morphed into something else.
justonemoreperson
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Manners73 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:55 pm

Maybe these days with Internet market places its easier to trade and make money.

You don't even need a van.

Gardening jobs are easy. Just put a card in a shop window and buy yourself a lawnmower.

Leaf blowing seems to be quite popular where I live.
England's Glory
Manners73
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

PreviousNext

Return to Narcissistic Personality Disorder Forum